Saturday, February 4, 2012

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Publication Date: August 30, 2011
Publisher: Tor Teen
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 316
SynopsisJust your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story. . . 

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead. 

So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay. 

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home. 

And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.
Review: Thrilling and romantic, Anna Dressed in Blood is immediately one of my favorite books ever. I've never come across a book anything like this one before. To give you an estimate on how much I liked this book, I created an analogy.

   Anna Dressed in Blood : Paranormal  : :  Anna and the French Kiss : Contemporary

   Yeah. It was that great.

   It took me around fifty pages to get into the book, but after that, I was completely sucked into Cas's world. I'm not a big fan of male POVs, but for this book, I'm willing to make an exception. I liked Cas as a character. He was snarky and smart and realistic. At least, as realistic as a ghost slayer can be. The secondary characters were very great as well. Thomas was nerdy in that adorable way. I loved how he had this huge crush on Carmel--it was so cute! Carmel was another character I really liked. She was the "Prom Queen," or the popular girl. But she was not at all stereotypical. I loved the way she broke the mold and how logical she was. She reminded me of Hermione Granger at times.

   My favorite character was easily Anna. She had many layers and was such a good person, despite the amount of people she murdered. Her story was so horrific and I felt like she was the most developed character in the whole book--which is saying a lot. I loved the dynamic between Anna and Cas. They easily hopped onto my list of favorite fictional couples. They were never cheesy, corny, or overly romantic. I found myself thinking, "My goodness, just kiss already!" They were so perfect and, gah, I ship them so hard.

   This book was so unique. I haven't read a good share of ghost books, to be honest, but I highly doubt any of them are as amazing as Anna Dressed in Blood. The writing was very good and there was never a dull place. I found myself hating to put this book down, because I just needed more.

   I need the sequel, Girl of Nightmares, now please! Anna Dressed in Blood is one of those books that takes you by surprise because of the complete amazingness of it all. Terrifying, captivating and extremely well executed, Anna Dressed in Blood is an absolutely phenomenal book that I recommend to every kind of reader. Plus, the cover is gorgeous! Tor Teen is so good with illustrated covers.

   5 keys.

7 comments:

  1. I totally fell in love with this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This really sounds amazing! I kind of passed this one by thinking that it would be too scary(?) for me... adding it to my TBR! Thanks for this awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your review! I'm not a fan of male POVs either, but you are right about this book being an exception. I dare someone to read this book and not like all of the characters in it! I'm glad you enjoyed this book as much as I did. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Review Sophia! Male POV is great well for me anyways and is pretty hard to find. The characters sound great . I would love to give it a try because I need to read more ghost stories because I think I've only read 1 .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! And I agree, this is a completely unique book. I have never read another quite like it. I am happy you enjoyed it. I thought it was a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to read this book so much, and this review makes me want to read it that much more! Great review. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh WOW, this book sounds amazing, thanks for the great review!!! Can't wait to get my hands on this

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...