Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Release Date: April 5, 2011
Publisher: Dutton
Format: Hardcover
Number of Pages: 264
Synopsis: It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.
Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future - and each other.

Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.
Review: I feel breathless. This book was so good. It blew If I Stay away, which is saying something, considering how highly I thought of the first book. Although I tend to stray from male POVs, Gayle Forman is just such a fabulous writer, she can make me read anything.

   It's been three years since Adam and Mia last saw each other. Adam feels empty and I can't find it in me to blame him in the least, no matter how many times I was slightly reminded of Bella in New Moon. Mia just abruptly cut off all ways of communication, and no matter how awful that was, I couldn't find it in me to hate Mia either. I understood both of the protagonists completely, which I loved.

   Adam has changed. He's found nothing to live for. His one happiness--music--is no longer happiness, and really, I think he just felt lost without Mia. It was sad, to say the least, but also incredibly sweet, considering how much he cared for Mia. Adam is now a huge rock star, with paparazzi on his tail and a famous girlfriend whom he doesn't love. Mia, on the other hand, is famous in a totally different world. She's a well known cellist--a virtuoso! I loved how successful both Mia and Adam had gotten over the course of the three years.

   The plot in this book is amazing. It made me feel a roller coaster of emotions. On one page, I would be laughing and then by the next, I'd be sobbing so much, I wouldn't be able to see the words on the paper. Yes. I sobbed. Hard. This book was as heartbreaking as it was heart-mending. Does that make sense? No? Well, I don't care.

   Gayle Forman's writing is still as hypnotic and easy to read as ever. I loved where she took Mia and Adam's story. Where She Went is a truly brilliant sequel, filled with depth, romance, and wonderful prose.

   5 keys.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing review!
    I really didn't like the first book, though. :P
    But it's awesome to see people who did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review!
    I haven't started this series, but I hope to soon, the cover is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...