Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Release Date: December 6, 2011
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Format: eBook
Number of Pages: 266 pages
Synopsis: Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up. 

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don’t kill him first, that is.
Review: I loved Jennifer's book, Half-Blood, and so I had extremely high hopes for this book. Sadly, I was disappointed. There were quite a few things I did like about this book, but there were also things I wasn't too fond of.

   Just a little side note: I hate summaries like the one for this book--or the one for Twilight, for example. I mean, yes, it's very intriguing, but I hate it when the summary gives the big "mystery" away. It's like, "Oh. They're aliens. Okay, we understand that from the moment we read the synopsis, yet a lot of the book focuses on what the heck these people are. Thanks for the surprise."

   Katy is our protagonist. I'm not gonna lie, she can be totally cool. After all, she's a book blogger. ;) Sometimes, she was witty and did things that made me want to say, "You go, girl!" But then other times, I felt that she was sort of weak and not as great. I didn't really love any of the characters, which I was really disappointed about, since I LOVED the ones in Half-Blood. Daemon was just a jerk, to be honest. His remarks weren't particularly mean or rude (after all, I'm a teenage girl and I hear a lot of colorful dialogue during school), but it's hard to like someone who doesn't treat a girl right. If I had to choose a favorite character, I guess I'd choose Dee, but even she got on my nerves at times.

   The whole concept was pretty unique. I've never read an alien book before, but the idea is original and interesting. Jennifer's spin on it was twisty and cool, no doubt!

   I suppose my expectations were too high, but I will still definitely check out the sequel. Obsidian was a unique addition to YA literature, having its own spin on aliens and showing the thin line between love and hate.

   3 keys.

6 comments:

  1. I had the same feelings as you about the book! I wasn't too fond of Daemon, he was a downright jerk with no real redeeming qualities. I get that he's a ~bad boy with a heart of gold~ or whatever but it just didn't work for me. The make-out scenes were well-written though! Maybe I'll like him in the future. A thing that really annoyed me in the book was about how Katy was like I H8 HIM...BUT HE'S SO HOT!! So in that aspect, I enjoyed the ending in that she had more of a backbone. Let's hope it lasts! I'll definitely check out the sequel too, I like Jennifer's writing in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review..i think i will skip this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I'm sorry you didn't like this one as much as you hoped you would! I've been really looking forward to reading it, but I'm not too sure anymore. Katy and Daemon don't really sound like the characters for me, and I hate when the big surprise is reveled in the summary. But that is awesome how Katy is a book blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pretty much fell the same way about this book too.
    I thought I would really like it because so many people who did read the book loved it.

    You're right. It was very difficult to see why Katy like Daemon, who was a jerk 3/4 of the time.

    Great review !

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw I;m sorry you didn't enjoy it as much. I personally loved it and cannot wait until onyx. Thanks so much for an honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you just love it when these fictional boys play hard to get! I've gotta admit that's one of my favorite parts of ya books. Their such teasers! I love it! And wow do some of those boys know how to play with our emotions or what! This book.... Daemon... OMG! I can't really think of another word besides that. OMG! He's not the only one though. I loved all the characters, and I can't wait to see what happens next! This story definitely left me aching for more! More about the Luxen, more about Katy and Daemon, more Daemon!!! lol! I can't believe I didn't read this book sooner, and I'm ever so thankful to everyone that suggested it to me! You were all RIGHT! So very right! I think I've got a new favorite author to add to my list! After I finish this review... I've definitely got some more books to buy! That's for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...