Saturday, January 14, 2012

Legend by Marie Lu

Release Date: November 29, 2011
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Format: Hardcover
Number of Pages: 305
SynopsisWhat was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias' death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.
Review: Oh, hi, there! What am I doing? Why am I rubbing the cover so frequently? Because I love the cover. That's why. Oh, and the content is great, too. Legend was a very entertaining dystopian that I easily adored.

   The United States is now separated into two portions: the Republic and the Colonies. They're constantly at war with each other and the citizens of the Republic are infected with plagues often. June is from a rich and powerful military family, whereas Day is a wanted criminal. They meet, they fall for each other, but then June realizes who Day really is, and he's the one that murdered June's brother. Which sucks.

   Legend easily captivated me. It's one of those books that make me remember why I love dystopians so much. The careful and well created world building, the constant fear and rebellion in the air, and wonderful characters. To be completely honest, I did feel like it was too cookie-cutter dystopian at times, but in total, I really liked this book.

   I loved June because she was incredibly smart. She was totally book smart, but she was also street smart. She knew her strategies, how to plan, and what to analyze. June was really kick butt, too. Day was also a really nice character. He was compassionate and, like June, very smart. I love smart characters, haha.

   The book switches POVs for every chapter. While I really liked getting into both June's and Day's heads, I didn't like how Marie Lu would sometimes repeat the same thing, but in the different person's POV. It didn't happen often, but when it did, I felt it was a bit redundant.

   As a whole, the plot was great and absorbing. It was quick and easy to read. Sometimes, Marie Lu's writing would be a little dry and too straightforward, but the book itself was one that I highly enjoyed. It's filled with action and thrills, as well as murder mystery. Oh--and a totally cool romance.

   Legend is a thrilling, fast-paced, action-packed and entertaining novel that left me breathless when I turned the last page. I can't wait for the sequel! I want more Day and June.

   4.5 keys.

6 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this book since it came out! It sounds really good and I also love dystopians. Glad to hear you liked it! Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I really enjoyed this book, too, although it wasn't perfect by any means. But I agree that it's definitely an entertaining dystopian and I'm looking forward to the next book. :)

    Sam @ Realm of Ficton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review, Sophia! I read this one not too long ago and really enjoyed it for many of the same reasons you did. June and Day were such great characters and I just loved the romance that bloomed between them. And I agree, the cover of this one is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read more in the series either. Loved the action and the story too!
    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just read this amazing new YA fiction on Ganesha - Part 1 of the Temple Wars series - I think everyone should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...