Saturday, January 28, 2012

Jersey Angel by Beth Ann Bauman

Publication Date: May 8, 2012
Publisher: Wendy Lamb Books
Format: eGalley
Page Number: 208
SynopsisIt's the summer before senior year and the alluring Angel is ready to have fun. She's not like her best friend, Inggy, who has a steady boyfriend, good grades, and college plans. Angel isn't sure what she wants to do yet, but she has confidence and experience beyond her years. Still, her summer doesn't start out as planned. Her good friend Joey doesn't want to fool around anymore, he wants to be her boyfriend, while Angel doesn't want to be tied down. As Joey pulls away, and Inggy tours colleges, Angel finds herself  spending more time with Inggy's boyfriend, Cork. With its cast of vivid and memorable characters, this tale from the Jersey shore is sure to make some waves.
Review: I will say immediately that I did not finish this book. I stopped on page 78 of 208 (38%). I always try my hardest to make it through books, even if I'm not enjoying it. However, this book just made me want to hurl my nook across the room.

   Take the last line of the synopsis. "With its cast of vivid and memorable characters, this tale from the Jersey shore is sure to make some waves." Vivid and memorable characters? Not so much. Angel, our protagonist, was probably one of the most annoying, raunchy and superficial characters ever to be written about in literature. She had absolutely no morals and no ethics. She slept with her best friend's boyfriend for crying out loud! Without a trace of guilt. I had to put the book down then.

   The plot was going nowhere. The writing wasn't bad, but the author used Jersey slang, which I'm not at all familiar with. Everything was so stereotypical. From "Guidos" to having sex on a raft, this book was just so far out of my taste.

   I'm not sure who this book would appeal to. Personally, I would never recommend Jersey Angel because of the disgustingly raunchy themes, annoying characters and lack of redeeming qualities. HOWEVER, just because I did not enjoy this book doesn't it mean you won't. Who knows--this book may be for you!

   DNF: 1 key.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, a lot of people didn't like this book. I know this for a fact.
    Good on you for putting the book down. I haven't read it, but if a main character sleeps with her best friend's boyfriend without guilt then... well...
    Just not for me. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, this sounds pretty out there. I don't like reading about characters that don't have any redeeming qualities and that definitely sounds like the case here. I will definitely pass on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still unsure as to what a guido is, despite all the Jersey Shore popularity. :p It's a bummer that you didn't enjoy this book! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, though. :)
    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...