Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Release Date: February 1, 2010
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Format: eBook
Number of Pages: 280
SynopsisMeghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.
Review: I think I deserve a pat on the back. I've been wanting to get to this series for so, so long and I finally got to the first book! Go me! However, I did have a few rough patches along the journey.

   I'm originally not a big fan of faeries, because, honestly, compared to the other mythical and paranormal creatures in the YA genre, faeries just pale in comparison. But everyone seems to love this series, so I really wanted to give it a try. Last year, I picked it up, finally. I was in about 100 pages when I put it down and forgot about it. That's not a good sign. I wasn't into the book. It wasn't very captivating and not much was happening.

   It is now 2012. I was like, "Hm. The Iron King... I should give this book another try." I'm glad I did, because once you get past the first 100 pages or so, it gets really interesting. I found myself enjoying the story and wanting to read more. Yes, it was entertaining. No, it was not perfect.

   The characters were lacking, in my opinion. I couldn't connect with Meghan at all. I felt like she was too passive, too nice, too... ethical. Haha, now normally, having good ethics is not a bad thing. In fact, it's a great thing! But when someone is trying to destroy Faeryland, ethics about killing can kind of go on the back burner, no? Anyway, so I couldn't really click with Meghan. Or any of the characters, really. I've seen tons of "TEAM ASH" buttons around the blogosphere. I have no idea why. He wasn't that appealing or charming, but somehow, him and Meghan end up falling in love... over the course of a couple weeks... with barely knowing each other... Their romance was very unbelievable. I guess if I had to pick a team, I'd go with Puck. He was a nice guy, a great friend, and wasn't afraid to be silly. Puck was definitely far more endearing than Ash.

   I really liked the plot, though. I must give Julie her props! She took the story in a really intriguing direction, although it took her quite a long time to get there. I have to admit that she made faerie lore pretty interesting, which is odd for me.

   I think I'll probably read the next book, not because I really want to know what happens next, but because I'd like to say that I've read the series. Is that wrong of me? Despite its slow start, The Iron King is a solid and fascinating start to a promising series.

   3.5 keys.

6 comments:

  1. This is definitely on my to-read list. Like you, I'm not particularly interested in faeries. Mostly, I want to see what the hype's about.

    Hah! Don't worry. I read books all the time, just to say that I've read them. I have a thing where I read books I already know I won't like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you decided to give it a go! This series is one of my absolute favorites. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it despite some issues. Hopefully the next book will wow you more! :)

    Sam @ Realm of Ficton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you decided on giving the series another chance :) and I'll admit that I was team puck in book one, after continuing with the series, that quickly changed! Can't wait to see what happens with you :)

    Diana
    http://thelovelygetaway.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my most favorite series! I'm so glad you gave it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't say the writing was bad, it just didn't have that special spark that happens when someone creates a world that is truly different and feels real. I'd skip this book and go for Storm Born, by Richelle Mead, for a similar storyline that is much more engaging for adult readers.

    Marlene Detierro (Pocket Knife Planet)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just picked up the Temple Wars book! Book 1 is fascinating and had me engaged from page one! You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...