Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Publication Date: January 10, 2012
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Format: Hardcover
Page Number: 313
SynopsisDiagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.
Review: I need a second copy of this book, because I'm pretty sure my first one is ruined by all my tears. (That's a lie. As if I would be careless enough to let my tears spill onto this wonderful book. No, my pillow/shirt caught them all.)

   John Green. He knows how to write. But it's not like that was ever in question.

   To be truthful, I didn't know if I was going to like this book. I thought that my expectations were too high and that I'd end up being disappointed. It wasn't especially captivating, and things were kind of 2D for me. But then--BAM! John Green blows me away. He somehow makes me invested in his characters and before I know it, my eyes are so blurry, I can barely make out the words on the page.

   I liked Hazel a lot. She had every right to throw a pity party for herself, but she never did. She was real and raw and honest and I admired that. She had the right balance of selflessness and selfishness. Augustus Waters was also incredible. At first, I was hesitant with him. He seemed too cookie-cutter for me; good looking, romantic, and clever. But slowly, John Green convinces me that August Waters is so much more than that. By the end of the book, I was so in love with his amazing character.

   The plot was really well done. It had a great speed and I never felt like it dragged or anything. And, of course, because this is John Green, there were strong messages throughout the whole novel. My only complaint is the ending because omg the tears is the writing. I think this is John Green's first time writing in a girl's POV, and sometimes I felt like it was too forced. Like... I don't know. I sometimes felt he was trying to hard to make it sound like a girl. Maybe it's just me.

   John Green could be a warlock out to get tears because I cried hard. The Fault in Our Stars is one of those books that steals your heart before you know it and doesn't give it back until you're out of tears. I loved this book and I'm sure everyone--even non-YA readers--will love it too.

   4.5 keys.


8 comments:

  1. Ah! I ordered my copy but it won't be here 'til Saturday! So far away...

    XD, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ordered this one but my copy hasn't gotten here yet. I'm so excited to read it though since I've been hearing nothing but amazing things. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knowwww, I think it's practically impossible to not cry while this book! I love the characters but John Green really makes you care about them as individuals. I actually didn't expect to cry but I was pretty much a water factory by the end, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book, GAH! It was so amazing. I have really enjoyed reading all the reviews this week to see what everyone took from it. (seems to go like this: laughter, tears. More laughter, more tears, etc.) Great review! Found your post on Saturday Situation btw:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the book (couldn't pass up the autographed copy), but listened to the audio version because of how well his books translate to that format. It was phenomenal. Is there anyone else who can tastefully find humor in cancer? I found myself laughing one moment and sobbing the next. Great review!

    Karis @YA Litwit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing review and thanks for the heads up. I'm definitely going to have a box of tissues near me when I read this :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of those books I have that I just haven't taken the time to read yet. One day!

    regards,
    dwayne of Tony Lama Boots

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks to shar information in the website,after reading i' very like'it
    cara efektif meninggikan badan dalam waktu singkat

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...