Saturday, December 17, 2011

Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter

Release Date: June 21, 2011
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Series: Heist Society #2
Format: eBook
Number of Pages: 139
Synopsis: Katarina Bishop has worn a lot of labels in her short life life. Friend. Niece. Daughter. Thief. But for the last two months she’s simply been known as the girl who ran the crew that robbed the greatest museum in the world. That’s why Kat isn’t surprised when she’s asked to steal the infamous Cleopatra Emerald so it can be returned to its rightful owners.

There are only three problems. First, the gem hasn’t been seen in public in thirty years. Second, since the fall of the Egyptian empire and the suicide of Cleopatra, no one who holds the emerald keeps it for long, and in Kat’s world, history almost always repeats itself. But it’s the third problem that makes Kat’s crew the most nervous and that is simply… the emerald is cursed.

Kat might be in way over her head, but she’s not going down without a fight. After all she has her best friend—the gorgeous Hale—and the rest of her crew with her as they chase the Cleopatra around the globe, dodging curses, realizing that the same tricks and cons her family has used for centuries are useless this time.

Which means, this time, Katarina Bishop is making up her own rules.


   I have missed Ally Carter's writing. I first read her Gallagher Girls books and was instantly hooked, but the time interval between the last release and the one coming out next is so grand, I barely remembered what her writing was like. I was saved when Heist Society came out and liked it a lot. I am very happy to say that I liked the sequel, Uncommon Criminals, even more!

   Katarina Bishop is now known as the girl who robbed the Henley--an enormous attainment, especially for a girl her age. She's been on a "heist high," never asking for the help of a crew and even robbing some places by herself. Kat is very independent in this book, almost even cold to others, but I loved her transformation. By the end, I really liked Kat and the way she accepted things about herself.

   The characters were very great, although not as developed as they were in the first book. Hale was very strange, but in a good way. He would get angry in an endearing way, but he was also such a sweetheart. I especially love Kat and Hale's relationship. It's complicated and slowly building, which I don't see a lot in YA books. The first two books in the series are out, and they still aren't officially together, but they have that wonderful chemistry. Gabrielle was clever and funny, as usual. The rest of the crew (Simon and the Bagshaw twins, as well as a new addition) didn't have that big of a part, which was a little disappointing.

   I always love Ally Carter's plots because they are so twisty and fun. However, I did find a few surprises to be predictable. I think there was the same amount of predictable things as there were surprising, which is not a bad balance at all.

   I also really like Ally Carter's writing. It's easy to read and incredibly fun. I think that basically sums up the whole book, to be honest. Uncommon Criminals is a fun and very quick read. It never failed to put a smile on my face. Let Ally Carter write books forever.

   4.5 keys.


3 comments:

  1. this looks like good contemporary romance..thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one it's way to me right now and then I'll have the joy of reading books 1 and 2 back to back! WooHoo!
    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite books of the year, I love Hale and Kat!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...