Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Release Date: January 2, 2012
Publisher: Poppy
Format: Hardcover
Number of Pages: 236
Synopsis: Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A. 

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.
Review: When I saw this at Barnes & Noble, I was like, "OMG. IT'S ALREADY OUT?!" According to Goodreads, no, it is not already out. However, I saw this on the shelf and since I've been waiting for this book forever, I just had to buy a copy. I think what I love most about this book is the title. It's long and lovely and totally awesome. Oh, and the cover is just fantastic! Love it!

   The content, though, was a little dull. The characters never really jumped off the page. For me, characters are a huge, huge part of a book. Hadley just didn't cut it. I couldn't relate, couldn't connect. I didn't really swoon over Oliver, either. Sure, he was a nice guy, but I just really didn't see depth in any of the characters. I found that extremely disappointing. I suppose it could be because the book is set over a 24 hour period, but I still expected more.
 
   What was interesting about this book was that it's written in third person-present tense, which is not a combination I often see. Just a random note. :3

   The romance was so very cute and...realistic? It was definitely my favorite part of the novel. Despite the fact that the book only captures 24 hours of Oliver and Hadley's time together, somehow, it's not insta-love! Total respect for Jennifer E. Smith there. It's very gradual, and by the end of the book, I do suppose that they love each other, but--thank goodness--it's not, "Holy snap, I love you so much, I'd die for you!" which you find everywhere in paranormal novels. (What is with that, by the way? Is it some rule that if you are in love with a paranormal creature, you have to die for him? Hm? :P)

   The book in general was very cookie-cutter, romance contemporary. You know the type. However, I am just so in love with the title and the cover... I just can't help but adore this book, even if the story itself was not very noteworthy.

   The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is a well executed story with dashes of romance, family drama and self discovery, although not mindblowingly great.

   3.5 keys.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked it, even if it wasn't completely memorable for you! Something about Hadley and Oliver completely charmed me, but I guess that's the best thing about books, they become different things for everyone who reads them. Excellent review :0)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...