Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers by Lynn Weingarten

Release Date: December 27, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: ARC
Number of Pages: 345
SynopsisWhen her boyfriend breaks up with her on the first day of sophomore year, Lucy has no idea how she’s going to make it through homeroom, let alone the rest of her life. Enter three stunning girls with a magical offer Lucy can’t refuse. All she has to do is get a guy to fall in love with her in the next seven days, and then…break his heart and collect one of his brokenhearted tears. As the girls teach Lucy how to hook a guy (with the help of a little magic), she quickly discovers how far she is willing to go—and who she is willing to cross—to get what she wants.

   On the very first day of Lucy's sophomore year, she is broken up with by her [jerk] boyfriend, Alex, with whom she's deeply in love. It's sudden and shocking and Lucy doesn't know how she's going to go on with her life. However, when she's bawling in the girls restroom, a senior named Olivia, brings her a magical orange silk cloth for Lucy to wipe her tears with, and thus, Lucy's journey to become a Heartbreaker begins.

   I was really excited for this book for two reasons, one more superficial than the other: (1) it sounded really fun and cute! (2) the cover was so pretty. However, after reading this book, I think it's safe to say that I was kind of disappointed.

   Lucy, our protagonist, was one of my main problems. To put it nicely, she was the epitome of a heartbroken teenager. To put it harshly, she was pathetic. She was confused and lost and threw herself at Alex, thinking he still liked her when he obviously didn't. Lucy was just plain naive and to be truthful, it bugged me. Maybe it was because I couldn't relate to her, no matter how hard I tried.

   The Secret Sisterhood consists of Olivia, Liza and Gil. I don't really think any of the characters--especially those not a part of the Sisterhood--were developed. At first, I really loved the concept of the Sisterhood but as the book progressed, I felt like sometimes, they were just really mean. I understand that heartbroken tears are what activate their magic but the thought of all those boys' broken hearts was sad to think about. I suppose that the Sisterhood does have its morals, but they were a bit cruel.

   One thing I really couldn't get into was Lynn Weingarten's writing. I don't really know why. I guess it was just too descriptive and blunt. It wasn't humorous or fun, as I thought it'd be. It was really straightforward and I didn't especially enjoy it. The plot is set over the course of seven days. It's strange because sometimes, the plot is unraveling very quickly and other times, it seemed to drag. However, it was interesting and did keep my attention.

   The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers is a magical tale that's splashed with friendship, love and self-discovery. I would recommend it to fans of Robin Palmer.

   3 keys.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review, I'm sorry you were disappointed. I was pretty excited for this but one of my biggest book pet peeves is under developed characters so I don't know anymore

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the cover a lot! I can't wait to read it!! The book does sound really cute! Great review! Thank you for sharing!

    Sam
    Books For All Seasons

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also found this book to be very disappointing. You were much more generous with your rating than I was!

    I completely agree with your opinion of the charcters. They were serioulys underdeveloped and Lucy gave me a headache. How could she be that naive?!

    This may just be the most disappointing book I have read all year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been feeling a little curious about this book, but not enough to actually put it on my wishlist. I'm so glad I read your review because, like you, I can't get into a book if I can't relate to the main character.

    Thanks for the solid, honest review. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary DeBorde [M.A.D.]

    The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers is one I've kinda had on my radar, but not really REALLY decided on yet. Hmm. Maybe I should borrow it from the library first :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...