Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Existence by Abbi Glines

Release Date: December 13, 2011
Publisher: Wild Child
Format: eBook
Number of Pages: 194
Synopsis: What happens when you are stalked by Death? You fall in love with him of course. Pagan Moore doesn’t cheat Death, instead, she falls in love with him. 

Seventeen year old Pagan Moore, has seen souls her entire life. Once she realized the strangers she often saw walking through walls were not visible to anyone else, she started ignoring them. If she didn’t let them know she could see them, they left her alone. Until she steps out of her car on the first day of school and sees an incredibly sexy guy lounging on a picnic table, watching her with an amused smirk on his face. Problem is, she knows he's dead. Not only does he not go away, when she ignores him he does something none of the others have ever done; he speaks. Pagan is fascinated by the soul. What Pagan doesn’t realize is that her appointed time to die is drawing near and the wickedly beautiful soul she is falling in love with is not a soul. He is Death and he is about to break all the rules.
Review: *groan* I really hate writing reviews like the one I'm about to write. I had such high hopes for this book. It sounded fantastic and I'd heard a lot of wonderful things about Abbi Gline's writing. Unfortunately, I really, really did not like this book. In fact, it was almost a chore to finish reading it. I was tempted to put it down. Here's why.

   The writing was pretty disappointing. There were tons of typos and a lot of the sentences just seemed... awkward. The characters were very annoying, especially the main character, Pagan. Everyone was just so 2D, with no personality. I don't know if I've ever hated a protagonist as much as I hated Pagan, except for maybe Bella from the Twilight Saga. Pagan was very selfish. I couldn't stand how she was making out with another boy when she had a perfectly handsome and kind boyfriend of her own. And that her only reason of not breaking up with her boyfriend was being he was her comfort. I also couldn't stand the fact that by the end of the novel, she was willing to die for the boy she loved. Oh, and a side note, the names were so weird! I'm not complaining about it, but really, I've never met anyone named Pagan, Dank, or Leif. Strange.

   I think Abbi Glines just took a bunch of cliches and squished them together, later spewing them out on a Word document that turned into this book. The book was so predictable and cliche. The dialogue was so cringe worthy. I wanted to shake Abbi's shoulders and say, "No one speaks like that in real life!" I will say this one thing: the ending is killer. A total cliffhanger. I don't know if this book is the first in the series, but the last sentence almost makes me want to pick up the next book, if there's going to be one. Almost.

   As much as I wanted to love this book, I ended up being majorly disappointed. I tried so hard to like this book, but I can't really say anything good about it. I feel so bad writing this, but I can't help but do so.

   1.5 keys.

6 comments:

  1. Bummer! I just got this one and was pretty excited to read it. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. Writing not so favorable reviews is never fun. I might push this one down my TBR a bit, I'd like to give it a chance eventually. Thanks for sharing :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! And it sounded so interesting, too! It's a shame you didn't like it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary DeBorde [M.A.D.]

    I really appreciate your honest review! Too often bloggers will gush about anything. While we all have taste difference in literature, it's still refreshing to read a truly thoughtful & candid review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the honest review. I was really looking forward to this one too. I'll probably still give it a try but won't rush out and get it. I heard some wonderful reviews. It does sound a little cliche but the death thing sounded intriguing. I'm sad the main character was annoying. I hate that. Check out my Saturday Situation review if you have time Reign Fall

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review. I have this book on my book wish list. I will probably buy it sometime in the next couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just picked up the Temple Wars book! Book 1 is fascinating and had me engaged from page one! You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...