Friday, December 23, 2011

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Release Date: October 26, 2010
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Format: Paperback
Number of Pages: 260
Synopsis“I’ve left some clues for you.
 
If you want them, turn the page.
 
If you don’t, put the book back on the shelf, please.”

So begins the latest whirlwind romance from the New York Times bestselling authors of Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist. Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favorite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions? 
Review: I've been told that this is a fun and great winter-y read. Indeed, it was! It was overall I nice and cute read that I very much enjoyed.

   Dash is browsing through his favorite bookstore when he spots a red moleskin notebook. Instinctively, he plucks it from the shelf and inside, there are dares. Dash was a really great character. He was the narrator that I liked more. He's a bit seclusive and arcane, but he had such a nice personality. Lily was energetic and naturally bubbly. To be honest, she reminded me a bit of an elementary student or maybe a hyper puppy. Nevertheless, she was very fun and peppy.

   The chapters alternate between Dash's POV to Lily's POV. I don't really know how Rachel Cohn and David Levithan wrote this, but I'm just going to guess that one person wrote Dash's chapters and the other wrote Lily's. I definitely liked Dash's chapters more. I found the writing funnier, the events more interesting and the voice more distinct. However, I did not like one thing: the vocabulary. Dash is word nerd--which I totally admire--and so there were lots of vocab words that I'm not familiar with. It did sort of disrupt my reading, but in the end, I liked Dash's chapters a lot. I also loved Dash's dialogue! It was so quirky and funny, though that might be because I have a quirky sense of humor as well. Lily's chapters were great, too. I liked Lily's character and her passages in the notebook, but the actual chapters of the book slightly paled in comparison to Dash's.

   I loved how unique and fun this book was! It was definitely very adorable and the authors completely pulled me into the world of the red notebook. I felt like I was sharing the characters' experiences. When Dash and Lily finally met in person, I wanted to die of embarrassment, as if I were in Lily's position. I love it when books can do that!

   Dash & Lily's Book of Dares is a totally fun, cute and romantic read perfect for Christmastime! I'm probably going to reread it next Christmas season. :)

   4 keys.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun read. I'll definitely have to check it out. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting. The title pulls me in; I'm going to have to check this one out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Dash is a word nerd and the quirky humour is a big plus. I'm adding this to my TBR pile because you made it sound so fun. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've yet to hear a bad thing about this book! It's been on my to-read list for awhile now. Glad to hear you enjoyed it too!

    Stopped by from the Saturday Situation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds adorable! Although I'm not sure how I'd feel about two narrators written by two authors, I'd be willing to give it a try. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...