Thursday, December 15, 2011

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare (*SPOILERS*)

Release Date: December 6, 2011
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Format: Hardcover
Number of Pages: 498
Synopsis: In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa's powers for his own dark ends.
With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister's war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move and that one of their own has betrayed them.
Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will; the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?
As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.
   On an Excited Scale of 1 to 10, I was about a 5,000 for this sequel. As much as I absolutely hate to admit this... I was disappointed. WARNING. IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THIS BOOK, DO NOT CONTINUE READING! THIS REVIEW HAS SPOILERS! 

   This book was definitely intriguing, without a doubt. I loved the Victorian era and the plot twists. My goodness, the plot twists! They were fabulous. I was so close to completely loving this book. However, I had two problems.

   1) Romance. I loved the romance in the first book, but the romance in this novel drove me insane. I think this is mostly because of my bias towards Will. I didn't appreciate Tessa's actions and her relationship with Jem/Will. I felt like she was too back and forth, kissing one guy and then kissing the next just a while later. What really was shell-shocking, thought, was... I cannot believe that Jem proposed to Tessa. And that Tessa accepted. I feel like they don't know that much about each other. Because, yes, they are very close friends, but they haven't known each other too long. I feel like they're just rushing into marriage. Oh, and did anyone else notice that whenever Tessa was kissing Jem (before their engagement), she always thought of or related the kiss to Will? Well, I did. Because I'm a Will fangirl and I notice things like that, haha.

   2) Writing. After reading a few of Cassandra Clare's books, I've come to realize that her writing is not one of my favorite styles. I feel like she adds too much detail and uses humongous words that I end up having to look up--although this could just be because my brain is underdeveloped, which might be pretty accurate. It seems like the books are longer than they need to be, and that the story should stop earlier, or that some scenes should be cut out.

   The climax of the book wasn't much of a climax. It wasn't a heart-racing, page-turning, "OMG WHAT HAPPENS NEXT" scene, like I'm used to. The characters were very well developed, and I loved seeing even deeper into them. I loved Gideon and Sophie. They were just too cute! The betrayals, the development, the characters, they were all fantastic!

   This is more of a rant and my thoughts, rather than a "real" review. I apologize! It may sound like I hated the book, but I DIDN'T. I feel like my ranting gives a wrong impression, but seriously, I did really like this book. So, yeah, you should definitely go read it.

   4 keys.


LOVE PREDICTION FOR CLOCKWORK PRINCESS: A cure will be found for Jem's drug dilemma. Or he'll gradually be healthy enough to stop taking it. Jem, being the selfless person he is, will realize how much Will and Tessa love each other, so he'll let them be together. Will and Tessa will feel so bad and guilty, but in the end, they'll live happily ever after. Anyone else agree?

6 comments:

  1. This is my # 1 wishlist book for Christmas!
    Skimmed the review as I didn't want to read any spoilers. Mainly wanted to see if it was a 4 or 5 key book.

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too think Tessa truly loves Will, but I also think the reason she chose Jem even after hearing Will's feelings is because, Will loves her, but he also loves Jem, and Jem loves Will, and it would be heart breaking if something came between them, I do think if she broke Jem's heart, that Will would hate himself and Tessa,I read a lot of people talking about how amazing Jem was in this book, for me it was all about Will.

    I really like your points, I kind of felt the same way for some moments after I first read the book, but Jem is Will's greatest sin, so I think just like he loves Tessa, he loves Jem.

    And I kind of liked the love triangle. There is a boy who loves a girl, and pushes her away because of real reasons. Not because he wants to eat her, but because he thinks it will kill her, and he also loves his best friend, and that friend loves him and the girl, and she loves both boys in similar ways, one with more intensity than the other. It was nice.
    I was practically crying when he told Magnus about his curse. And then when he told Tessa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Team Will. I can understand why Tessa goes back and forth. She loves Will, but he said some hurtful things to her. So she tries to move on with Jem. She wants to be honorable in staying engaged to Jem even though Will finally tells her he loves her. And Will also loves Jem b/c they've always been so close. It's just a difficult situation. I can't possibly imagine what will happen in CLOCKWORK PRINCESS.

    I love Gideon and Sophie, too! They are so cute together. I hope they do end up together!

    I wish CLOCKWORK PRINCESS would come out sooner!

    Chen Chang

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helll yehhhh!!!Willl is awh-mazing <3 him and jace i hope she ends up with will

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have truely enjoyed all the books in this series. Every page that is turned is entirely devoured! Totally recommend this book/series/author.

    regards,
    russel of Plumber in Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just picked up the Temple Wars book! Book 1 is fascinating and had me engaged from page one! You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...