Monday, December 5, 2011

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

Synopsis: Who is Jenna Fox? Seventeen-year-old Jenna has been told that is her name. She has just awoken from a coma, they tell her, and she is still recovering from a terrible accident in which she was involved a year ago. But what happened before that? Jenna doesn't remember her life. Or does she? And are the memories really hers?
   Sci-fi is probably one of my favorite genres because it thrills me. It scares me more than horror novels. I think it's the possibility that the events in the book are actually kind of probable. That is definitely the case with The Adoration of Jenna Fox. Technology is so superior nowadays, who knows how much scientists actual know--you know, secretly?
   This is one of those rare books with boring characters that I still like. I empathized with Jenna because the confusion of forgotten memories would definitely drive people bananas. But Jenna's monologue was just plain, dull, robotic even. All the characters were sort of like that. Nothing special, nothing to cause extreme emotions within me.
   However, I still like this book. The story itself was very good and I could tell Mary E. Pearson put mountains of work and research into this novel. It was logical and realistic. Although the concept of the novel seemed far fetched, it's actually not. This book really makes you think.
   For the plot, I don't really think there was a roller coaster plot. It wasn't dramatic. It wasn't intense. It was a bit monotone, but it was intriguing! For the first half of the book, you are dying to know what happened to Jenna after the accident. Or--even earlier--what the accident even was! For the second half, you want to know what Jenna's going to do. How is she going to deal with the information she now possesses? Very mysterious, very captivating. It's more than enough to keep readers reading.
   The Adoration of Jenna Fox, although falling flat in some aspects, was an absorbing and well-written story with a realistic future that makes you truly think.
   4 keys.

4 comments:

  1. Hm, this kind of reminds me of Mara Dyer. The name is kind of mysterious sounding. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book. The second book, The Fox Inheritance was pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read this book last year, for my high school's book reading contest! I didn't really enjoy it much, the characters seemed kind of boring, and the story line slow!

    But there is a second book coming out, or it already did, I'm not sure which. But I do want to give The Adoration of Jenna Fox another shot(:

    Lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, I'm somewhat intrigued. I will definitely look into this book a little more, great reveiw

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...