Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Wings by Aprilynne Pike


Synopsis: Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.
Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.
In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.
   This book was extremely strange. I don't think there is any other faerie book like this one. Granted, I haven't read a fair share of fae books in the first place, but I'm pretty certain that no one would take the unique route that Pike took.
   My expectations were low for this book. I'm not a big fan of fantasy and I hadn't heard too many great things about Wings. For the first half of the book, I was right to have my hopes low. The book started off very slow and the main character, Laurel, was so dull. She was very plain, very soft-spoken, very bland. The other characters were just a little bit better. David and Chelsea, Laurel's new friends, were nice and added a bit of flavor, but still, no one really popped out.
   Things slightly picked up when Laurel noticed a rapidly growing bump on her back. Soon, a plant sprouts from the enormous bump. They are large petals that resemble wings. Now, can you tell me that you've read a faerie book in which faeries are highly evolved plants? Hm? I mean, seriously. Plants! That's so unusual. It's creative, but I also had the most difficult time wrapping my mind around it. Although Aprilynne included a lot of science in this book, I didn't really feel like the science backed up Laurel's transformation.
   After Laurel's plant growth, the plot wasn't too bad. It was still a little on the slow side, but I was intrigued. Things got even better when Tamani was introduced. Tamani is a faerie who happens to love Laurel, despite the fact that Laurel doesn't know who he is. Tamani is really sweet and funny, and totally lovable.
   I'm not sure if I'll pick up the next book in the series, considering the fact that Wings wasn't all that impressive. However, it was a quick and interesting read with a creative twist on the faerie myth.
   3 keys.

2 comments:

  1. I felt similar about 'Wings' Though the series does get better as it continues. I can't wait for the last book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed the series. I've read the first three in this series and the only regrets were that they weren't longer in length.
    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...