Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting

Synopsis: In the violent country of Ludania, the classes are strictly divided by the language they speak. The smallest transgression, like looking a member of a higher class in the eye while they are speaking their native tongue, results in immediate execution. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina has always been able to understand the languages of all classes, and she's spent her life trying to hide her secret. The only place she can really be free is the drug-fueled underground clubs where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. It's there that she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy named Max who speaks a language she's never heard before . . . and her secret is almost exposed.  
Charlie is intensely attracted to Max, even though she can't be sure where his real loyalties lie. As the emergency drills give way to real crisis and the violence escalates, it becomes clear that Charlie is the key to something much bigger: her country's only chance for freedom from the terrible power of a deadly regime.


   Oh, no! I was planning on reading only contemporaries this month, but I guess that'll change. I couldn't help but read this quickly before it expired on Galley Grab. For the most part, I enjoyed this novel. I haven't read Kimberly Derting's Body Finder series, but I might after this book.
   Although The Pledge is a dystopian, I felt like it was a fantasy. Queens and magical powers... Yep, definitely a fantasy. I'm not a fan of fantasy on most occasions, but I thought it was okay for this book. For the first three quarters, I loved this book. It was so mysterious and dark and I loved it.
   Charlaina (Charlie), our main character, is a Vendor girl who has a special secret: she can understand all languages of her world. She doesn't know why or how, but she does know that it would be dangerous if someone knew. Max is the mysterious boy that seems to show up out of nowhere and Charlie is intrigued by him. I was intrigued as well. I tend to love dark male leads, although his name was a bit of a turn off. Max reminds me of a dog's name. I though Charlie was a pretty nice protagonist, although I do feel like she was bland at times. Too plain and too predictable.
   As stated previously, I loved the first three quarters. It reminded me of Delirium by Lauren Oliver in a way. The last quarter I wasn't so crazy about. The climax fell short for me and I thought things were rushed. It was predictable and very cheesy.
   One thing I really liked, though, was Kimberly's writing style. It was easy to read and I loved the words she chose. Although her plot wasn't too great, I still loved the writing itself which is why I'm thinking of looking into the Body Finder series. It wouldn't hurt if that series had a hottie like Max in it either.
   That said, I still liked The Pledge. It was an entertaining and unique read that held my attention.
   4 keys.


2 comments:

  1. The Pledge was a great book, and i highly recommend it… it's something different. readers will read it quickly- just like I did! this book is awesome; filled with romance, mystery and adventure! read it, odds are you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read this amazing new YA fiction on Ganesha - Part 1 of the Temple Wars series - I think everyone should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...