Thursday, November 10, 2011

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Synopsis: In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen year- old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...  
A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make -and the ultimate choice Mia commands.


   This book gave me a rush of emotions. This book is thoughtful and captivating, emotional and moving. It's a very enjoyable read that I liked a lot.
   The book starts with Mia and her family deciding to take a trip to see her parents' old friends. But when a huge truck hits the passenger side of their car, Mia is suddenly looking at all the damage. But Mia is not in her human body. This book follows Mia's actions and flashbacks throughout the 24 hours the human her is in a coma.
   The concept of this novel is not completely original. I'm almost certain that I've seen several movies or other books based on the same kind of idea. But If I Stay pretty much blew me away. It was interesting and I really loved the flashbacks... well, most of them.
   Mia is an intense and pleasant protagonist who is confused and gifted. The story is told from her point of view and there are also many flashbacks weaved into her thoughts. I liked her personality and I really loved that she played the cello. As a musician myself, I found that her stories relating to her and her cello were more interesting to me. I also loved the scenes between her and Adam.
   Mia's relationship between her and Adam is incredibly delicate and fragile, as well as strongly romantic. At times, I was upset by the awkward silences and undeniable tension, but at other times, my heart was fluttering, my stomach doing somersaults. Adam is a nice character and although he and Mia are in love, I, as the reader, didn't feel a super strong connection. They're relationship seemed awkward and forced for many scenes, which was the intention.
   What I truly loved about this book was the writing. Gayle Forman has an incredible way with words. She crafts them to form beautiful and intriguing sentences. Her writing is easy to read and her transitions are smooth. It was poetic in a sense and made me turn the pages quickly.
   What I didn't like was some of the flashbacks. I thought some were unnecessary and only there to fill some space up. I found that the ones about her parents and their music history were boring and I slightly skimmed through them to get to the next scene.
   If I Stay is a breathtaking and riveting tale that combines the elements of tragedy, love, sacrifice and friendship into one thought provoking novel. I highly recommend it.
   4.5 keys.

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree that this book is really good! This is one really good contemporary read~ awesome review!

    Here's my Review of Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me sad that you didn't like the flashbacks! I thought that they were brilliant and added SO much to the story. It was the only way we were able to really get to know her family.

    But other than that, I agree! This is an absolutely brilliant book, one I completely loved and I cried. A lot. For the whole book. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book just sounds amazing. I can't wait to read it! I don't know why I've been putting it off for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this book, too! I felt the same way about some of the flashbacks, but overall I thought this was a beautiful story. As much as I liked this one, though, the sequel 'Where She Went' was so much better! You'll definitely want to read that one, too :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your review^^

    I've read If I Stay and This book make me cry

    I read this book over and over, coz' this is one of my favorite book

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just picked up the Temple Wars book! Book 1 is fascinating and had me engaged from page one! You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...