Thursday, November 24, 2011

Half-Blood by Jennifer Armentrout

Synopsis: The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.
   Half-Blood completely blew me away. I didn't really expect much from this book and I was incredibly surprised at how much I loved it. Half-Blood is about a girl named Alex--a half-blood--who's been running with her mother for the past three years, as opposed to living safely in the Covenant. But daimons are chasing her down and her mother gets killed, which means that Alex is taken back to the Covenant.
   From the get-go, I got sucked into Alex's story. This book is very fast-paced and hilarious! The plot was always so spellbinding and the characters were totally amazing.
   Alex is seriously my favorite heroine ever. She is so kick butt and freaking hilarious. I loved her. She was very snarky and stubborn, but also extremely strong and feisty. Alex was basically the epitome of an awesome protagonist.
   Aiden is a pure-blood and Alex's trainer. Him being a pure-blood means that if Alex had a relationship with him, she'd probably get killed. Their attraction was a great one. Together, they were understanding and funny, and a bit steamy. Although I loved Aiden--and believe me, I really love Aiden--I'm not going to lie, I ship Alex and Seth. Although throughout the majority of the book, there's no love triangle, by the end of the book, it seems like there will be as the series continues.
   Sometimes, I felt like this book was a bit predictable, but really, the whole amazing-ness of the book kind of cancels that out. Another thing I didn't really like was the lack of mythology in this book. I assumed from the title that there would be quite a bit of mythology in this book, but there really wasn't. That was a small disappointment.
   I love Jennifer's writing style. It's fun, humorous, and easy to read. It reminded me of Meg Cabot, who happens to be one of my favorite authors. Looks like Jennifer is hopping on to my favorite authors list as well!
   Half-Blood really surprised me with its fabulous characters, witty banter and ridiculously engrossing plot. It also made me shed a few tears. I can't wait for Pure!
   5 keys.

7 comments:

  1. This book has a similar writing similar to that of Meg Cabot's?! Then I definitely think I'll be picking it up. Plus I have to admit the whole plot and characters sound pretty interesting as well. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Review, I won a copy of this and can't wait to receive it and be able to read it. Your review makes me want to read it even more. =]

    Michael @ The Bookshelf Review

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice review! I've had this book on my wishlist for a couple of months now and I'm really glad to see that it's as awesome as it sounds. After reading your review, I'm excited to read it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, it makes me want it even more! I can't wait to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I REALLY want to read this. I love humorous books. I'm hoping to start Jennifer's books soon.

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *GASP* You're a....you're a...I can't even say it out loud....YOU'RE A SETH SHIPPER!? OMGOMGOMG, I did not know that....and now that I do...I don't think we can be friends anymore. Like for seriously.

    OHMYGOODNESS, what the!? Hoooow could yooou!? LOL

    Great review! You really covered what worked for you and what didn't and why! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. gan good job, this article is very interesting to note, cool deh,, of course we have new insights that we get after reading it, thanx yah :-)

    pengobatan untuk sembuhkan saraf mata rusak

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...