Monday, November 7, 2011

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

Synopsis: Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face.  
But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. 
Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.
   Although I'm late diving into this book, I still remember all the hype. The reviews seemed to be either one of two: love or hate. I don't think I fit into either. I didn't love, and I certainly didn't hate it. It was just a fun and strange read.
   Bianca is snarky and cynical. She also has a dysfunctional family. Her parents' marriage is strongly going downhill and what makes her mood worse is that the school's man whore, Wesley Rush, calls her the Duff of her friends--Designated Ugly Fat Friend. Bianca, being the hilariously rebellious character she is, then splashes her cherry Coke all over poor Wesley.
   After that moment, Bianca won my opinion. She was just the kind of character that I loved; sarcastic, funny, and used to having everything figured out. However, she did stuff in this book that I didn't approve of. I mean, I understood why she often slept with Wesley, but I still inwardly cringed whenever it happened. I felt that Bianca could have done several other things rather than just having sex, but didn't even see other options.
   Kody Keplinger creates wonderful characters. Casey and Jessica, Bianca's gorgeous and blond best friends, were great. They totally stepped out of the rigid "cheerleaders are snobs" stereotype. They were so loyal and I was happy that Bianca had such nice friends. Wesley Rush... Oh, Wesley. The womanizing player of the school. He was fantastic. He was just such a jerk but his transformation throughout the novel was stunning.
    The plot was always moving. Several different plotlines were weaved into this book which made for a fast and fun read. There was a whole bunch of drama and hilarious banter. Basically, although I thought there was excess profanity and sex, I found this novel extremely entertaining. I found myself giggling during class while reading this.
   Honest and humorous, The DUFF is an absorbing debut with interesting characters, brilliant dialogue and a strong message near the end. I wasn't blown away by Kody Keplinger's book, but it was definitely and absolutely entertaining.
   4 keys.


 

3 comments:

  1. I wasn't blown away by this one either, but I agree that it was enjoyable. Can't wait to read her other one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one a while ago and didn't expect to like it that much, so I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I DID like it. I agree that there was a lot that made me cringe in this book, and I think it's actually rather unrealistic but overall I did enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was definitely one of the people that fell into the "love" category with this book, but I also completely agree with the points you made about Bianca. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...