Monday, November 28, 2011

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Synopsis: Beatrice "Tris" Prior has reached the fateful age of sixteen, the stage at which teenagers in Veronica Roth's dystopian Chicago must select which of five factions to join for life. Each faction represents a virtue: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. To the surprise of herself and her selfless Abnegation family, she chooses Dauntless, the path of courage. Her choice exposes her to the demanding, violent initiation rites of this group, but it also threatens to expose a personal secret that could place in mortal danger. Veronica Roth's young adult Divergent trilogy launches with a captivating adventure about love and loyalty playing out under most extreme circumstances.
 *this is my second review for this novel. the first one can be found here*
  I think that if you really love a book, you should definitely reread it, even several times! I sped through Divergent my first time around because I was so hooked and I couldn't keep from tearing through the pages. This time, I took my time, carefully reading every word and really savoring the story itself. Why does it sound like I'm talking about food...
   Again, I am in awe at how Veronica Roth weaves such a fantastic story. I don't think I will ever get tired of reading this book. It was fabulous the first time, and even better the second.
   I realized that I missed quite a few things the first time around. Veronica uses a great deal of foreshadowing that I didn't catch until I was rereading it. I'm slapping myself mentally for not reading carefully the first time. This story is very absorbing and even better when you can guess what's going to happen next by paying attention to Veronica's subtle hints.
   The characters were so lovable and/or hateable. Beatrice "Tris" is just totally awesome. She's insanely strong and I adore seeing her character grow and transform throughout the novel. Tris is independent, very smart and quick on her feet. Four is just as amazing as the first time. My breath still catches whenever I read a particular scene with him in it. The way Veronica Roth makes me feel for her characters is just crazy!
   Although I'm familiar with the plot, I still never got bored. It's fast paced and action packed, with just a few moments to make your stomach fill with butterflies. The only thing that I didn't like was this tiny part in the ending. Four's... confession, per say. And how Tris never said it back. I don't know, that just bothered me.
   Divergent is a thoughtful, quick and extremely addictive debut by a truly talented author. Why is Insurgent so far away? Sob!
   5 keys. This is still and without a doubt my favorite book of 2011. ^-^

4 comments:

  1. Okay, so I didn't read your review, because I literally just got Divergent and want to review it, but didn't want to be swayed or anything. I just came to look at how many stars it got and it has 5 Keys !

    I am so amped to read this book now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book. The characters are so strong and they follow what they think is right, not just what they are asked to do. I couldn't put it down and can't wait for book 2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read this book. It has been laying on myshelf yelling at me to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just picked up the Temple Wars book! Book 1 is fascinating and had me engaged from page one! You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...