Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Synopsis: Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.


Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.


Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.


   This book was scary. It's not horror; it's sci-fi, but it scared me to no end. Science fiction books always make me feel this way, knowing that it's futuristic makes me feel like it's all incredibly possible, even though it sounds completely ludicrous.
   My first thought while reading this was, "Ooh, two POVs. Interesting." Then, "Wow. Beth Revis really must've done her research." Everything seemed accurate and believable to me. Granted, I'm not the most educated student in science, but still. I really liked the details and realistic feeling of this book. It made me feel like I was claustrophobic along with the characters.
   Across the Universe is about a journey to a new planet taking several centuries. Thus, people who board the ship must be frozen so they can survive until the arrival to the planet finally comes. Amy follows her parents onto the ship, becomes frozen, but gets unplugged early. Dun-dun-dun.
   An aspect of this book that I really enjoyed was Beth Revis's writing. It was short and dramatic, making for a page turner. I also really liked the characters. Amy was a great protagonist who I felt really sorry for most of the time. I hated her circumstances and admired that she pulled herself together when I would've totally went ballistic. Elder was also very admirable. He was incredibly strong and extremely smart, definitely making a fantastic leader. My favorite character has to be Steela. I liked her very much, and was sad at how little she came out.
   The whole murder mystery aspect of this novel kept my heart pounding and my stomach twisting. I knew who the "murderer" was from the beginning, but I still loved uncovering every little detail that Revis had put in.
   While reading this, I couldn't help but think that it was so much like The Giver. Incredibly so. It almost made me mad. Although Across the Universe is an original tale, there were so many similarities between it and The Giver, it made my reading experience less pleasurable. Another thing that was not too pleasurable was the insta-love between Amy and Elder. Sigh. I was expecting a bit more from their relationship, such as one that did not develop over 24 hours.
   Thrilling and chilling, Across the Universe is an exciting debut novel that intertwines science fiction, mystery, suspense and romance; a suspenseful and captivating story that I couldn't put down.
   4 keys? 4.5 keys? I honestly cannot decide. You be the judge!


7 comments:

  1. I really, really want to get to this one soon, too. It's just been sitting on my shelf! I have sooo many good ones to read, though. That's what makes deciding what to read next hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one that I'd almost forgotten was on my TBR shelf. Thanks for the reminder as to why I got it.
    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was one of my favorite books of 2011. The Author said there was a major scientific flaw in it, so every time I re-read it, I try and find it. Havent yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The idea of a Sci-Fi murder mystery sounds fascinating.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started reading this one! Science fiction isn't usually my thing but I have heard great things and decided to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice review! I really want to read this book now!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just read the Temple Wars Novel on Ganesha! The story is well told through a parallel protagonist Tarun who helps Ganesha retrieve his objects from the spirit world. It's a page-turner that will have you wanting more. You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...