Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Synopsis: Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there. 
It can. 
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed. 
There is. 
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. 
She's wrong.

   Just hold on a moment. I'm trying to collect my thoughts on this novel. If I were to describe it in three words, those words would be: creepy, intense and romantic. That last one doesn't fit in with the first two, does it? Well, it does for this story.
   Mara Dyer is crazy. Insane. And totally powerful, although she doesn't know it in the beginning. This book was just so mysterious, I felt like I was going insane myself. Michelle Hodkin created a creepy mystery that Sara Shepard could never do with the PLL series.
   Mara was a fantastic protagonist. We only know what she knows; so basically, we know nothing. Being in the dark was nail-bitingly torturous. What happened the night at the asylum? How is Mara unharmed? Why can't she remember anything? Why is she seeing dead people? This book was incredibly eerie; I just wanted to close my eyes and hide under the blanket sometimes, but even then, I would be scared. And then some parts, I was just tingling all over. Butterflies would errupt in my stomach and I'd devour the pages.
   What would make me have butterflies if the book was so scary? Two words: Noah Shaw. At first, I wasn't sure if I'd like Noah, but after the sketchbook incident (readers: read this book to find out!), I was in love. I'm having trouble deciding who I love more: Four or Noah. Noah was an amazing and sexy character. He was hilarious, sometimes a total jerk, and then other times, the best boy in the whole world. Gah, he was frustrating, but so understanding. The chemistry between Noah and Mara could start a forest fire. Although throughout the first three quarters of the novel, they don't kiss, I felt like they had. They were just so intimate with their words and confessions that physical interaction was practically unnecessary.
   Hodkin's writing is utterly captivating. I couldn't put this book down. The chapters were short and dramatic, just forcing me to keep on reading. I only put it down every thirty minutes or so because I wanted to prolong my reading experience. Oh, and to catch my breath after reading an intense scene. It's very hard to believe that Michelle Hodkin is only a debut author. 452 pages was not enough.
   The relationship I had between this book and myself was the kind of love where it's so intense that you're scared. I was so scared of Michelle Hodkin because with just a paragraph, she had the ability to kill off a character. Or turn one evil. Or just change everything about it. Haha, does that even make sense?
   There's a cliffhanger ending in this novel. And it's absolutely dreadful. I want to scream and yell and cry and smile and laugh hysterically all at the same time. This book gave me a roller coaster of emotions.
   Michelle Hodkin has crafted an amazing debut novel that will keep readers on edge with the scary and romantic story of Mara Dyer. I can't wait to see what Hodkin will reveal in the next installment.
   4.5 keys.

Cover: omg the cover is absolutely gorgeousgorgeousgorgeous
Additional Notes:
-Yes, Divergent is still my favorite 2011 book.
-I had been waiting on this book for ages.
-I will have to reread this book because it was very good.
-I felt like Noah Shaw just completely took a line from Edward Cullen when Noah said, "It just becomes background noise, mostly. Until I focus on one person in particular." But don't worry, folks. Noah does not read minds.

4 comments:

  1. You're so lucky I've been dying to read this. I have seen nothing but good reviews on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so many great and amazing things about this one! Yes, the cover is VERY gorgeous and yes, Noah's line is eerily similar to Edward's... Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this, but I hadn't realized it was scary! Now I REALLY want to read this! :) Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...