Friday, October 14, 2011

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

Synopsis: To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters -- never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.  
As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadow-hunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadow-hunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her new found powers to help save the Glass City -- whatever the cost?


   I have no idea why but this book took me way too long to finish. Five days! D: However, it was a very good book. It might be my favorite Mortal Instruments book so far. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that this was the conclusion of the series, but it's not.
   In this book, readers finally get to experience the wonderful country of Idris, the home to all Shadowhunters. Too bad Clary's visit is ruined by a demon attack. Thus starts the usual trouble surrounding Valentine and his demon army.
   Lots of new characters are introduced in this book, and honestly, I didn't like any of them. (Especially Aline. Gosh, she was so annoying.) The old characters grew a lot in this book which I really liked. I was surprised at how much I really liked Simon in this novel. Usually, I'd find him bothersome, but in this installment, he seriously matured and became a great character. Plus, there was a ton of Luke in this book, who happens to be one of my favorite characters ever. Oh, and Alec! Yay for his courage with Magnus! :) I really didn't like Clary. She got on my nerves. And I don't like her power. It's just... I mean... I don't even know. It's like, "Really? Why not just become Super Woman while you're at it?"
   A lot of people hate "angsty Jace." I, personally, liked his angst, especially because it was reasonable. I mean, honestly, his father is the biggest enemy, he's in love with his "sister," and he thinks he's a monster. Do you really expect him to maintain his cool, collected, snarky attitude that we first encountered him with in CoB? I loved how Jace was so open in this book. It was really great, knowing how he truly felt, and what his inner thoughts or turmoils were like.
   The action was so non-stop in this book, it's pretty insane. The plot never pauses to take a breath. Problems would pile on top of one another until I, as a reader, felt like I was getting swallowed. There were so many intense scenes, evil mysteries, and other fun stuff. The book seems like it completes the whole series and ties it up with a bow, so I'm wondering where Cassandra Clare is going to go in City of Fallen Angels (and the two books after that). Is there even more of Jace and Clary's story to write?
   Although the plot was fast and filled with awesome content, I did feel like it dragged on a bit. Maybe that's why I took a while finishing this book.
   I would definitely recommend this series to everyone. This book basically has everything: fantasy, drama, romance and thrills. Clare has crafted an unforgettable series.
   4 keys.

*SPOILER* omg FINALLY. Cassandra FINALLY reveals that Clary and Jace are not related. I mean, honestly, did anyone even believe that to begin with? Seriously.

5 comments:

  1. thanks so much for sharing your thoughts :) i can honestly say I felt the same way! there were times were i just wanted to slap jace but then again i knew were his attitude was coming from... so it was easy to forgive him! great review :)

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favourite book in the Mortal Instruments. I love the ending. It wraps everything up so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to get started on this series. I hope I won't find Jace's angst annoying.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. You know I'm kind of like do I want to read CoFA and potentially ruin a series I like. I've heard it's good and I've heard it's not so good so I'm not sure what I wanna do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my fav series ever, I'm completely in love with the story, the characters and the relationship between them.
    Great review!! :)
    I can't wait to read the 5th book of the series
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...