Friday, October 28, 2011

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Synopsis: Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.

As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited?



   Look at that cover. Look at that title. How can a book that looks and sounds so awful be so completely fantastic? This book completely blew my mind. I loved every word, every scene, every chapter. Stephanie Perkins might just be my new favorite contemporary author.
   Anna wants to be a movie critic. She wants to date Toph, the cute rocker boy who works at the movie theatre with her. She wants to have fun with her best friend, Bridgette. But all that comes tumbling down when her father sends her to the School of America in Paris (SOAP). Thus, Anna's French adventure begins!
   Anna was a fabulous protagonist. I really, really loved her. She was so quirky and different. She was also a hilarious and relatable narrator. What I loved most about her was that she always redeemed herself. She has flaws, yes, and she acknowledges that and tries to fix things. I never grew tired of Anna's voice or her story.
   The other characters were just as great! Rashmi was probably my favorite out of all of Anna's friends. I loved how real she was and how she never let anyone know her problems. Josh and Meredith were fun as well. Amanda... Oh goodness, I hated her. Stephanie Perkins truly knows how to write wonderful characters that I feel emotions for.
   And that brings me to... you guessed it, Etienne St. Clair. The absolute heartthrob of every reader, I'm sure. I, personally, did love him, but not a ton. He has flaws, which I completely admire, and sometimes those flaws get the better of him. He has a great sense of humor and I would love to have him as a best friend. But I didn't absolutely love him. I don't know how to phrase it... I loved him, but I didn't love him.
   The romance and sexual tension was incredible. The angst and fury and confusion, it was all so real. That's what I really love about contemporaries. They feel real. This book was filled with so much angst, I wanted to rip my own hair out while reading this. Luckily, the plot was fast and always super fun. I never got tired of reading it. There were so many twists in this book! I would read a scene and then exclaim something, causing my friends to throw me a questioning look.
   I loved this book. Loved, loved, loved. It was so mushy and gushy and frustrating and absolutely adorable.
   I would recommend this to all readers, even those who aren't fans of mushiness. Anna and the French Kiss is a phenomenal debut that combines friendship, romance, drama and a dash of French culture; a perfect read for any reader.
   5 keys. Without a single doubt. I'm wondering whether I should start Lola right now or take a break from Perkins to absorb Anna's awesomeness.

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic review! I just recently bought this book because my best friend has been raving about it for a while now. I'll definitely have to start it soon. =)

    -Shanon @ Escaping With Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone has said this one is so good, but I haven't had a chance to get my hands on this one. And you've just made me want to read it even worse!

    New follower!

    Rie @ Mission to Read

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! This is one of my all-time reads and I'm glad you loved it as much as I did. I can't wait to read Lola and the Boy Next Door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! This is like the 5th awesome review I have read for this book and I've been pushed one step closer to buying it! I generally hate contemporaries and mush but if it's really that great, I might just have to get over the cheese-tastic cover and give it a read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard so many good reviews about this book and I completely agree with them. It made me love Paris more than I already did and I have to say, Etienne sounds pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great review..i really want to read this one:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just read the Temple Wars Novel on Ganesha! The story is well told through a parallel protagonist Tarun who helps Ganesha retrieve his objects from the spirit world. It's a page-turner that will have you wanting more. You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...