Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard (eARC)

Synopsis: It all begins with a stupid question:  
Are you a Global Vagabond? 
No, but 18-year-old Bria Sandoval wants to be. In a quest for independence, her neglected art, and no-strings-attached hookups, she signs up for a guided tour of Central America—the wrong one. Middle-aged tourists with fanny packs are hardly the key to self-rediscovery. When Bria meets Rowan, devoted backpacker and dive instructor, and his outspokenly humanitarian sister Starling, she seizes the chance to ditch her group and join them off the beaten path. 
Bria's a good girl trying to go bad. Rowan's a bad boy trying to stay good. As they travel across a panorama of Mayan villages, remote Belizean islands, and hostels plagued with jungle beasties, they discover what they've got in common: both seek to leave behind the old versions of themselves. And the secret to escaping the past, Rowan’s found, is to keep moving forward. 
But Bria comes to realize she can't run forever, no matter what Rowan says. If she ever wants the courage to fall for someone worthwhile, she has to start looking back. 


   I can definitely say that this is not like any other novel I have ever read. It's about Bria, who's broken inside because of past events with her boyfriend and art. She decides to take a journey throughout Central America and with some interesting situations, she ends up switching paths.
   The only other book I've read about traveling was Amy and Roger's Epic Detour which I loved. But that book was just traveling across America, which I'm pretty familiar with, given that I live here. But Wanderlove is across countries that I've only seen on a map, never experienced firsthand. I don't know whether Kirsten has actually been to all these countries or if she just did a whole bunch of research, but either way, this book is packed with information.
   Bria was an interesting character. Her past with art, swimming, and Toby was just so fascinating. She was funny and witty, an overall great narrator. Rowan was a nice guy, very intricate and secretive. He sometimes annoyed the crap out of me, just because he's reserved, but he has all reason to be. My favorite character though is definitely Starling. She's so energetic and hilarious, I loved her!
   I loved how there were pictures throughout the book. It was a tad bit weird to look at through my nook, so I recommend getting a paper copy of this. Also, I don't know if it's my nook, but it was difficult following along the dialogue because of the lack of paragraph spacing.
   Okay, enough of my nook mishaps. The story itself is fantastic! In all honesty, it took me pretty long to get into it. Maybe about 70-100 pages or so? But after that, I had trouble putting it down. Bria's story is definitely one that you'll think about every time you hop in the car. Oh, and the ending? Loved. It. I'm getting so sick of all these cliffhangers. The ending of Wanderlove was perfect and more than satisfying.
   Wanderlove is a very well-written novel following Bria's journey as she finally moves on from her past, discovers herself, and maybe falls in love. It's an inspiring story that'll keep you smiling hours after you've finished it.
   4 keys.








3 comments:

  1. Oo I didn't realize there were pictures! That's awesome! Now I'm even more excited to read this one =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really great. I've only read one road trip book too and it was Don't Stop Now. It'd be really cool to read a road trip book from another country. I'm adding this to my wishlist now =) Great review!

    New Follower

    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone is saying such wonderful things about this book. I was honestly going to pass it up but I think I'm going to have to re-think that decision.

    I'm so glad you loved it and that it was more than what you expected. Thanks for the great review.

    Irene (Alaska Bear Hunts)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...