Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Lying Game by Sara Shepard

Synopsis: I had a life anyone would kill for.Then someone did. 
The worst part of being dead is that there’s nothing left to live for. No more kisses. No more secrets. No more gossip. It’s enough to kill a girl all over again. But I’m about to get something no one else does—an encore performance, thanks to Emma, the long-lost twin sister I never even got to meet.Now Emma’s desperate to know what happened to me. And the only way to figure it out is to be me—to slip into my old life and piece it all together. But can she laugh at inside jokes with my best friends? Convince my boyfriend she’s the girl he fell in love with? Pretend to be a happy, carefree daughter when she hugs my parents good night? And can she keep up the charade, even after she realizes my murderer is watching her every move? 
From Sara Shepard, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of thePretty Little Liars books, comes a riveting new series about secrets, lies, and killer consequences. 
Let the lying game begin.


   I don't really know what I expected from this book. The concept was certainly very interesting, but I'm still not sure of how I felt about this book.
   Sara Shepard's writing in The Lying Game was better than her writing in the Pretty Little Liars books, I'll admit, but even with that, it was still mediocre. Maybe I'm just so used to super phenomenal writing (such as Veronica Roth, Cassandra Clare, J.K. Rowling, etc.) but this book wasn't really memorable.
   The book was intriguing enough to finish quickly though. The chapters were always short and very mysterious. Trying to guess who Sutton's murderer is, is so difficult! You think it's one person, and then in the next chapter, you think it's someone else. And then in the end, it can be absolutely anyone, regardless!
   The whole book is super hard to wrap your mind around, just like Pretty Little Liars. But it's also completely enticing. You can't stop reading, and when it gets to those climax points where you think you know what's going to happen, the pages just turn themselves.
   The characters were classic Shepard characters. Basically, they're kind of 2D. This is mostly because the narrator is dead and can't remember anything from her life, but it still kind of affected the story. You only catch glimpses of everyone's personality, and you just keep wondering throughout the whole novel. "What happened with Charlotte? What about Thayer? What happened between Laurel and Thayer? Why did [character 1] act like that to [character 2]?"
   Because of the whole mystery that the book revolves around, there are lots of untied strings at the end, meaning that every reader must read the next book in the series to make sense of everything. But because of my humongous TBR pile, I'm not sure if I'll be able to read the next book soon, meaning Sutton's story will have to wait before I can continue it.
   Written in classic Shepard style, The Lying Game is filled with mystery and thrills with every page turn. Watch your back, because you never know who might be behind you to stab it.
   3.5 keys.

2 comments:

  1. I love the TV show, but it sounds like the book is really different. I've got this on my TBR list, but maybe I'll wait a bit. Thanks for the honest review! And congrats Sophia, you've won the Liebster Award over on my blog :0)

    Sarah @ The Book Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read the Temple Wars Novel on Ganesha! The story is well told through a parallel protagonist Tarun who helps Ganesha retrieve his objects from the spirit world. It's a page-turner that will have you wanting more. You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...