Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Ivy by Lauren Kunze and Rina Onur

Synopsis: Congratulations! You have been admitted to the most prestigious university in the world. Now what are you going to do? 
Callie Andrews may not have money or connections or the right clothes, and she may have way too many complications in her love life, what with 
Gregory the guy she loves to hate ...
Evan the guy she'd love to forget ...
Clint the guy she'd love to love ...
and Matt the guy she really should love ...
all vying for her attention. 
But she has three fantastic roommates (best friends or her worst nightmare?) and a wholesome California-girl reputation (oops) and brains and beauty and big, big dreams.
   I have really mixed opinions about this book. As a straight "A" student, I respect and honor Harvard University so much. Isn't it every nerd's dream to attend Harvard University? Well, after reading this book, I'm not too sure. This book was about Callie's freshman experience, including friendship, romance, betrayals, nasty gossip, and other girly stuff. But no studying. No mention of grades. I mean, yes, this book is about scandals, but really? Couldn't the authors have mentioned at least a bit of educational information of some sort? At first, I was thinking, "My goodness, these authors have done absolutely no research about Harvard!" And then I found out that both authors attended Harvard University themselves. Shocking!
   Callie has beauty and brains... Legally Blonde, anyone? Mary Sue, anyone? Besides her wishy-washiness and inability to be a true friend, she didn't have any real flaws. She wasn't, by far, one of my favorite heroines to read about, but she was interesting enough. That's basically how I felt about this whole book. It wasn't great, but it was intriguing enough to keep me reading.
   This book reminded me of a more mature/adult version of The Clique series by Lisi Harrison. Everything was so dramatic and gossip-y. Being at Harvard University, I expected Callie to at least be worried about exams or something, but no. The only important things to Callie were boys and social standings. How superficial.
   All I can say is that this was not my type of novel. With raw descriptions of the wild side of college, fun characters, and a scandal as raunchy as Anne Boleyn, this quick read is perfect for fans of the Gossip Girl and Pretty Little Liars series.
   2.5 keys.






3 comments:

  1. I really wanted to read this book, but now I'm not so sure. Mary Sues are annoying!! Awesome review though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, too bad this book didn't work out. Great review though! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just picked up the Temple Wars book! Book 1 is fascinating and had me engaged from page one! You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...