Thursday, September 22, 2011

Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (eARC)

Synopsis: Every other day, Kali D'Angelo is a normal sixteen-year-old girl. She goes to public high school. She attends pep rallies. She's human. 
And then every day in between . . .She's something else entirely.
 
Though she still looks like herself, every twenty-four hours predatory instincts take over and Kali becomes a feared demon-hunter with the undeniable urge to hunt, trap, and kill zombies, hellhounds, and other supernatural creatures. Kali has no idea why she is the way she is, but she gives in to instinct anyway. Even though the government considers it environmental terrorism. 
When Kali notices a mark on the lower back of a popular girl at school, she knows instantly that the girl is marked for death by one of these creatures. Kali has twenty-four hours to save her and, unfortunately, she'll have to do it as a human. With the help of a few new friends, Kali takes a risk that her human body might not survive. . .and learns the secrets of her mysterious condition in the process.
   I was really surprised at how much I liked this book. Normally, this wouldn't be my first choice to read, but after reading some really great reviews, I decided to pick it up from my tbr pile. From the very first page, Jennifer Barnes drops up right into action. This book is fast paced and never stops for breath (well, not unless you count those moments where Kali passes out).
   Ever since age twelve, Kali has known that she was not normal. At least, not every other day. Her mom left her at a young age and Kali had distanced herself from her father. She was alone, which made it easier for her to be what she was... a monster hunter! Kali was such a warrior, total kick-butt. When she sees an ouroboros on a popular girl's body at her school, Kali has to save her.
   In the beginning of the book, Skylar is introduced. She becomes Kali's only friend and has a certain... power. I loved Skylar! She was so upbeat and kind. She never let anyone put her down and she was always determined to make the decision that would make things best in the long run.
   The whole book is super strange and completely unique. It was easy to read and went by super quickly. I'd sit and read for a few minutes and already, I'd be twenty pages further into the book. Some action scenes were pretty gruesome, but all in all, this book was really fun. I keep wondering if it's a first in a series because I think it'd make a great one. I don't think it is though.
   I wish there was a little more romance between Kali and Zev. I also wish we knew more about Zev! (another reason why I want a sequel.) We don't even learn his age!
   The only things I didn't really like about this book were Elliot, the confusion and--somewhat--the writing. Elliot was just really annoying. I found a few of the parts confusing. Some scenes lacked detail so I was wondering what happened. And at times, Jennifer's writing got very repetitive. She used repetition a lot, which when used moderately is really nice, but I think she may have overdone it to an extent.
   Overflowing with action, suspense and an inimitable paranormal tale, Every Other Day is a fun story that will leave you wanting more from Jennifer Lynn Barnes.
   4 keys.




3 comments:

  1. So, I liked this book. But I felt like it had a lot of issues. Idk. Maybe I'm just too picky. I think I gave it 3 stars. But I felt like all the AH-HA moments were near the end and it was like AH-HA overload! Glad you liked it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on NetGalley! I might have to read it now! It sounds awesome.I'm in the mood for a fast-paced book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked it! I definitely agree with you about Elliot, his character was so pessimistic. I don't know if this is going to be a series either, but it could definitely go places :0) Also, I love your new header, it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...