Saturday, September 10, 2011

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare


Synopsis: Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still.  
When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.
Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own. 
Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

*note* I haven't read the Mortal Instrument series yet. And this is the prequel to it... Am I like reading them out of order? D:
  Hi, there. This is Sophia's spirit, because she died reading this book. It was just too good for her fragile body to handle.
   Okay, all joking aside, this book is absolutely fantastic. Usually, those kinds of compliments go in the last paragraph, but I just need to get that point across first.
   Clockwork Angel had tons of hype and every reviewer raved about it. My expectations for this book were high in the sky because of that. Usually, when I have high expectations, I end up being disappointed. Was that the case for this book? NO.
   I will admit that the beginning half was a bit disappointing. I mean, it was good, but it wasn't "OMG I can't put this book down." That all changed in the second half. I basically tore through the pages (gently, though, since this copy was from my school library, haha).
   As noted above, I have not read the Mortal Instrument series but I definitely plan on doing it soon. Maybe I didn't get the full effect of the novel because of my not reading MI, but I still loved it. Tessa was a great character. She reminded me a lot of a Meg Cabot heroine because she was so kick-butt. Tessa questioned everything and never took no for an answer. Her actions didn't always match up with what I would do, or what I thought she'd do, but I guess that's just all in the genius mind of Cassandra Clare.
   Will. Oh my goodness, I hate him. But I love him at the same time. (Am I insane or what?) I remember when I was only like 70 pages in and I hated Will already. I thought Will was that stereotypical rude, bad-boy jerk that a lot of YA books have nowadays. But later in the book, I discovered that he was way different. Well, he's still a jerk, but he's definitely not like any other male lead.
   I was solely Team Jem, even before he was introduced. I swore to be Team Jem throughout the entire novel, but I strayed a few times. (Darn Will and his complex character, who happens to be really hilarious as well!) Jem is so kind and caring. He seems like the broken boy who everyone can't help but love. He reminded me of Peeta from The Hunger Games.
   This book is non-stop action in the second half. I cannot even begin to describe how surprising every aspect of this brilliant novel was. I guessed what would happen next, thinking, "This book is a bit too predictable," and Cassandra has a way of writing so that you think your guess is absolutely correct... And then BOOM. It turns out to be something COMPLETELY different! The planning and the precision throughout this novel is so genius, like J.K. Rowling.
   Clockwork Angel brims with mystery, horror, friendship and the ever famous YA love triangle. Extremely well written and insanely intriguing, this book will surely please every reader.

   4.5 keys. (It would've been five, but the first half was just... not as great as the second.)


7 comments:

  1. OMG I had that exact same moment of "duhhh this ending is so predictable" and then WHAM out of nowhere everything changed! I was gaping at the page =O I adore this book. Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly with you! The ending just snuck up on you and KABAAM it was a complete shocker. I love it when an author can do that to you. Can't wait for you to read MI because that series is just as amazing =)

    Great review!

    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not going to lie, I kind of gave up after the first 50 pages...but, I think I'll give it another shot, especially if the last half is really so awesome :D

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your review. I think the first chapters were a bit slow, but then again, the characters had to be laid out and presented. I hate that about all books. I haven't read The Mortal Instruments either! Btw, I heart Wil!!! What can I say? I'm drawn to the bad boys. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I haven't read it yet, but I really want to. Loved the cover of Clockwork Prince so much that I got it, but didn't realize it wasn't the first in the series. Gotta read them in order. I've heard a lot about Will. Guess I'll have to read it to decide whose team I'm on! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am behind too in a different way. I have read the MI series, but haven't gotten to this one yet. It sounds Abso-fab.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just read this amazing new YA fiction on Ganesha - Part 1 of the Temple Wars series - I think everyone should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...