Friday, September 30, 2011

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Synopsis: A murderer is loose in New York City... and the victims are Downworlder children. Clary Fray and her fellow Shadowhunters have a strong suspicion that Valentine, Clary's father, may be behind the killings. But if he is the murderer, then what's his true motive? To make matters worse, the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, has been stolen, and the mysterious Inquisitor has arrived to investigate, with her eyes vigilantly targeted on Clary's brother, Jace.     Clary will need to face some terrifying demons and even more terrifying family decisions. No  one said that the life of a Shadowhunter would be easy.
   City of Ashes... What can I say about City of Ashes..? I'm not sure if I liked it more or less than I liked City of Bones. I liked some aspects of this one more, and some less. A plus is definitely how much more of Jace's character came in. Jace is probably my favorite character in this series--well, either Jace or Luke. A minus, however, is that Jace and Clary believe they are brother and sister. Thus, it's totally awkward between the two. As I said in my CoB review, I do not buy Clare's story of them being siblings at all. I actually think it's kind of funny how they think they're related. (it's going to be so embarrassing if they turn out to be seriously related.... Cassandra Clare, please don't do that to me...)
   CoA definitely had tons and tons of action-packed, fighting scenes that just make you cringe when reading them. Oh, and many surprises... There was always something new and unexpected around every corner. Warlocks, vampires, werewolves, so many mysteries you can create with all the supernatural creatures! And Cassandra Clare does just that.
   The plot is always, always, always moving and the characters jump out from the pages. Jace = amazinggg. Clary is starting to get a bit annoying and Simon... well, let's just say he goes through some major changes. Cassandra Clare wrote an awesome sequel to an awesome novel that forces you to turn pages, read like a madman, and enjoy every single page of it. City of Ashes sucks you in, and I don't know how long I can wait before reading the next book in the series, City of Glass. (Hopefully, not very long!)
   Oh, gosh... What to rate this book.... Um.... 4 keys? 4.5 keys? You decide.


4 comments:

  1. I think I'm the only one who hasn't read her books yet. I'm glad you enjoyed this one though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you rate books with keys! Fabulous blog, and I loved the Mortal Instruments :D *swoons* (I would agree with you on the 4 keys, for book 2)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished City of Bones a couple weeks ago. I'm waiting to head back to the library to pick of City of Ashes. Yay for more Jace!!! I can't believe I waited so long to read this series! Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read this amazing new YA fiction on Ganesha - Part 1 of the Temple Wars series - I think everyone should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...