Saturday, September 3, 2011

Abandon by Meg Cabot


Synopsis: She didn't fall into his world. She was taken.

Seventeen-year-old Pierce knows what happens to us when we die.
That's how she met John Hayden, the mysterious stranger who's made returning to normal life—or at least life as Pierce knew it before the accident—next to impossible.
Though she thought she escaped him—starting a new school in a whole new place—it turns out she was wrong. He finds her.
What does John want from her? Pierce thinks she knows... just like she knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven. But she can't stay away from him, either, especially since he's always there when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.
But if she lets herself fall any further, she might find herself back in the place she fears the most.
And when Pierce discovers the shocking truth, that’s exactly where John sweeps her:
The Underworld.

   Meg Cabot, one of my favorite authors ever, has done it again. She has written a fabulous YA novel that I absolutely adored. Abandon showed a different style of her writing, I think. I mean, sure, the writing is classic Meg Cabot (which means awesome, humorous, and awesome), but it also seemed more sophisticated.
   I will admit that the beginning--minus the prologue--started off a bit slow, but that didn't really matter. From the first page, I knew it was going to be a great book. I love Greek mythology, and have loved it since the 4th grade. So put together two great things... Meg Cabot + Greek mythology = one heck of a book!
   Like usual, Meg created a wonderful protagonist. Pierce is hilarious and a completely awesome narrator. She was really understandable and I just really liked her.
   Moving on to John. Oh my goodness. Swoon~ I loved him. When I was looking at reviews for this book, people said that they wanted more of him throughout the novel, but I disagree. I think there was a perfect amount of him, especially nearing the end. John was really, really different than Cabot's usual male leads, probably because he's ruler of a section of the Underworld instead of the usual all-sweet boy. He's complex, and we only get to see a layer of him, so hopefully there's more to him in the next book!

   The plot was a little slow in the beginning like I said before, but besides that, I liked the pace. It wasn't too fast, and it wasn't dragging. There were lots of little twists that I definitely not see coming, especially the end! The end was stunning.
   But as a whole, I thought the story felt incomplete. Like... there were lots of threads hanging, such as Coffin Night, the hurricane, Jade, etc. I know that it's because this is the first in a trilogy, but I really wanted to know all of the answers.

   All in all, I really liked this book. Abandon is an intricate and exciting retelling of the classic myth of Persephone and Hades. Meg Cabot has created another fantastic story that kept me turning the pages like a madman. I cannot wait till the sequel comes out!

  
Love,
Sophia

P.S. How do you like the gifs? Yay or nay?

Cover Note: Isn't the jacket beautiful? Oh my goodness, I love it.

8 comments:

  1. Ah I loved this book! But I definitely agree about the Coffin Night, I was like what is this?! What's going on?! Oh well, I'm definitely excited for the next one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked Abandon too! So many people did not, though, which I was surprised by. The dialogue and banter is witty, quick, Pierce is kick-ass, John is swoon-worthy, etc.
    PS. The Simon gif is really funny ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The jacket is gorgeous, unfortunately in the UK it has a different cover now. :) Great review! I'm a new follower (and proud of it, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right I will now be reading this book next from my huge haul. I am so excited after reding your review. As you saw from my IMM the UK copy has a totally different cover. I'm not sure which I prefer, I will have to read it and see which fits.

    Emma @ LostinaYAbook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Sophia!

    Thanks for participating in my blogoversary giveaway!! I'm following you back now!

    Nice review! I reviewed this book myself -- I LOVED it!! Good thing I ignored the negative reviews I saw on Amazon... I even got a SIGNED copy, and met Meg Cabot herself!!

    I don't get why some people don't like this book. They have criticized Pierce, and I just love her! As for John, we'll get to know him better in the next book, I'm sure!

    Maria @ http://anightsdreamofbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have this on my shelf. glad to hear it's a good read. super excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this book too I can't wait to the next one for more John I loved him! I heard so many things about it so I had to read it. Underworld is on my to read list now! Great review thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just read this amazing new YA fiction on Ganesha - Part 1 of the Temple Wars series - I think everyone should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...