Sunday, August 21, 2011

Torment by Lauren Kate (ARC)

Synopsis: Hell on earth.  
That’s what it’s like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel.
It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts—immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans. 
At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn’t told her everything. He’s hiding something—something dangerous.
What if Daniel’s version of the past isn’t actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else?

   I didn't really have too high of expectations for this sequel considering that Fallen wasn't exactly one of the greatest books I'd ever read. Maybe that's why I enjoyed Torment so much. It was definitely an improvement and now I'm excited to read the rest of the series!
   In this book, Luce has left Sword and Cross and is now enrolling at Shoreline, a boarding school in California. I loved this book's setting. Cali's weather, the scenery, everything. Anyway, so Daniel drops her off there and is forbidden to see her because he's working his butt off to save Luce's life from her attackers. Yay, trouble!
   Luce was basically a doormat in the first novel, but in Torment, she really shined! She was independent and strong, definitely a great change. I loved the characters a lot more in this book. I don't know why Lauren Kate didn't give her characters awesome personalities in the first novel. Anyways, let me talk about Shelby. Shelby is Luce's new roommate, and I. LOVED. HER. I thought she was absolutely hilarious and I loved how she was a bit vicious as well. Reminds me of myself. (joking)
   Miles was a nice new character. He's kind of like Luce's new love interest, although she may not completely realize it. He wasn't exactly appealing to me, but I'm pretty sure that's just me. I just didn't feel like he was worthy of Luce. I mean, sure, what he did at the end of the novel was like, "OMG HE'S SUCH A HERO," but... I don't know. I guess I'm too attached to Daniel.
   The plot pace and the plot itself was excellent! It didn't drag at all, and this novel was so much more intriguing than Fallen. The characters blossomed wonderfully and I cannot wait to read Passion! Hopefully it'll be just as great. :)
   Torment is Luce's story of discovering herself, becoming independent, and finding out who she truly loves. This book will keep you turning the pages until the very end.
   4 keys.


Love,
Sophia
Thanks to Michelle and Leslie's Book Picks who hosted the giveaway in which I won this book. :)

*SPOILER ALERT* Okay, so I'm confused about some things. In the beginning, the dude on the plane... who the heck is he? I mean, honestly, he was just kind of thrown in there and never mentioned again, even though I thought his role would be very important. And the ending?! I mean, seriously! Biggest. Cliffhanger. Over. Also, I think Luce is pretty rash. Doesn't think about her actions before she's doing them. She leaves everyone and expects them to clean up after her? And Callie! She's clueless and Luce (a crap "best friend" btw) just leaves her. Ugh.

3 comments:

  1. Fallen wasn't my fave either by far, but I heard what the author was planning for the third book....and it sounded really good so I decided to read the rest of the series. I have yet to read Torment, but am relieved that it didn't suck!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, I felt pretty much the same way about Torment. I hope you enjoy Passion as well though, I liked it but not as much as I had wanted to.

    Also wanted to tell you that I really like your blog and nominated you for a liebster award http://thereadinggeek.blogspot.com/2011/08/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. my sister told me to skip fallen and i did but i still really like the covers of this series. glad to see the second book is better than the first.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...