Friday, August 12, 2011

The Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells

Synopsis: Sometimes I still wake up shivering in the early hours of the morning, drowning in dreams of being out there in the ocean that summer, of looking up at the moon and feeling as invisible and free as a fish. But I'm jumping ahead, and to tell the story right I have to go back to the very beginning. To a place called Indigo Beach. To a boy with pale skin that glowed against the dark waves. To the start of something neither of us could have predicted, and which would mark us forever, making everything that came after and before seem like it belonged to another life.


My name is Mia Gordon: 
I was sixteen years old,
and I remember everything.


   I've actually had this book on my shelf for quite a while now. I had started the first few pages and put it down, and it had become a repeated process. But one day, when I got farther into it, I was intrigued! And so here I am, writing a review for this book. 
   The description is so vague, I know. Basically, it's about Mia visiting her cousins at the Hamptons in New York. They stay at a beach house (that's huge). I will admit, in the beginning of this novel, it was pretty slow. It took a while to get to the interesting part. But enter Simon, and POOF! This book gets fantastic!
   Usually, I fall in love with the male leads in novels, if written well. But that wasn't the case for this novel. Don't get me wrong, Howells writes amazingly! I just didn't loooove Simon. I'm pretty sure it's because he's a ginger... Haha, joking! Simon is a really great character though. He has so many layers and flaws, he's so realistic. He's a dreamer and he's so sweet.
   Mia just recently got her heart broken and when arriving at Hamptons, she's disappointed. Her cousins have changed. They're snotty and drink and party all the time. But then she meets Simon and he's there to keep her company and push her limits. They don't call the title The Summer of Skinny Dipping for nothing! There are tons of ocean swims and I felt light hearted while reading this book.
   I had read reviews about this book before reading it, and they all warned me that this was not a beachy, fluffy read. They said it was emotional and heartbreaking. I didn't believe them at first because the novel was so fun and happy! But now I know why. I cried at the end. I just can't even... I was so shocked. It was unbelievable, honestly.
   This novel has so many twists and turns, filled with bittersweet romance and self-discovery. It's not a light read, I assure you, but it's still wonderful. Great writing, intriguing plot, I couldn't flip the pages fast enough. Ugh, my heart is sinking just writing this review. The ending was just so...!! Well. Read the book to find out! ;)
   4 keys.


Love,
Sophia


3 comments:

  1. I've heard a mixture of things about this one- some good and some bad. I'm kind of hesitant to read it because I've heard about the ending. However, I think I may give it a try sometime. From the way you describe it, it does sound quite good- I love summery books! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book's been on my "to review" list for over a month now because I can't put how I feel about it into words. It's just so...so...SO! Mia was a great character though, and I loved the family stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read the Temple Wars Novel on Ganesha! The story is well told through a parallel protagonist Tarun who helps Ganesha retrieve his objects from the spirit world. It's a page-turner that will have you wanting more. You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...