Thursday, August 11, 2011

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Synopsis: Beatrice "Tris" Prior has reached the fateful age of sixteen, the stage at which teenagers in Veronica Roth's dystopian Chicago must select which of five factions to join for life. Each faction represents a virtue: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. To the surprise of herself and her selfless Abnegation family, she chooses Dauntless, the path of courage. Her choice exposes her to the demanding, violent initiation rites of this group, but it also threatens to expose a personal secret that could place in mortal danger. Veronica Roth's young adult Divergent trilogy launches with a captivating adventure about love and loyalty playing out under most extreme circumstances.

   Oh my goodness. Just... oh my goodness. I can't even begin to describe how amazing this book was, but I guess I'll try my best. At first, I was definitely not intrigued by this book, despite all the wonderful reviews. Summary was meh. Cover was meh. It just didn't appeal to me.
   But today, at Barnes and Noble, I picked it up and started reading. I was absolutely HOOKED. By the time I had to leave, I was about 100 pages in and I knew that I HAD to buy it. So I did, and I never put it down after that. I took it with me everywhere; when I went to the restroom, when I went to eat watermelon, even when I went to dinner at Olive Garden! This book was so addicting. Finished in one day! The summary is great. The cover is great. I just can't get over how perfect this book is. (I fangirled throughout my whole reading of this book.)
   I had to eat dinner during a big action scene, so my heart was pounding so hard. Oh my goodness. Ok, done rambling. Now more about the book!
   Beatrice, AKA Tris, is a lovely character. I loved her, all the way. I didn't find her annoying, EVER, which is really rare with books nowadays. She reacted the same way I would and she was just such an exciting character. (Gosh, my heart is pounding just writing this review! IT WAS SO GOOD!) The whole concept was very familiar to me. It's a dystopian novel and everything reminded me of either The Giver or The Hunger Games. But in no way does that mean that this novel is unoriginal! Divergent is just so brilliant.
   Four... My goodness, Four. I am in love with him. I'm such a Four fangirl. His whole character is just so perfect. He's so real and.... I'm having such a difficult time putting my thoughts into words! The whole book was just so perfect. And the sexual tension between him and Tris? Ah, so great. There are even some funny parts as well!
   This book is probably my favorite book that I've read in 2011. (Sorry Entwined!) If you haven't read it, go read it right now. You will definitely never, ever regret it. I cannot wait until next May when Insurgent (Divergent #2) comes out! This novel is a story about adventure, romance, war, and discovering yourself as well as others' true intentions. It will stay in your thoughts long after you turn the last page.
    5 keys. More like 10 billion keys, but 5 keys will do. ^-^

Love,
Sophia

P.S. My heart is still thudding!
P.S.S. I think I'm going to reread it.... Even though I JUST read it. :D SO GOOD. 
P.S.S.S. My favorite lines:
 "Ah," he says, his voice raspy"This is worse. This is definitely..."   
 "Shh," I say. "Arms around me."   
 Obediently, he slips both arms around my waist. I smile at the wall. I am not enjoying this. I am not, not even a little bit, no.
haha, that part made me laugh really hard! :) 

5 comments:

  1. yay! I'm so glad to see you enjoy this one, as it's definitely one of my favorite books of the year, if not ever. Oh, and I'm a huge Four fangirl as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one yet but plan to. I'm even more excited now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this last month and I absolutely loved it! I haven't read such an amazing book in a long time. I can't wait for Insurgent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to read this, very very soon. I have a way too long tbr list, but Divergent is now on the top of it :)
    Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just read this amazing new YA fiction on Ganesha - Part 1 of the Temple Wars series - I think everyone should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...