Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Fallen by Lauren Kate


Synopsis: There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.  
Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move. 
Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret... even if it kills her.




   For every book, I always read several reviews before I read the book myself. Maybe that's bad because then I already have a judgement before I even read the first word, but it's a habit that I never break. I did the same thing for Fallen and was concerned. There were mixed reviews, but about 70% of the ones I came across were negative. Nevertheless, I read this book.
   I must give Lauren Kate credit. She creates a very detailed and descriptive world of Sword & Cross. It's obviously spooky and creepy. Any reader could definitely tell. But I wish she could've done the same with the characters. The characters were rather dull, especially the protagonist, Luce. She never took charge and she wasn't very interesting, to be completely honest. It was like she waited for everyone around her to carry her along through the story. Sigh. Oh well. Moving on.
   The male leads... I really liked. Cam and Daniel were both interesting to me, the former more than the latter. There wasn't much description on Daniel, so it was kind of hard to feel attached to him, as I usually do with male leads. Cam, though, he was exciting.
   During the majority of the novel, the plot was quite slow. It wasn't "omg, this is sooo draggy" but it definitely was not fast paced. Near the end of the novel, things were taking action and momentum, and the novel was especially enjoyable.
   The whole story was very Twilight-esque. I mean, very, very, very Twilight-esque. Of course, there are some major differences, but there are also some major similarities.
   All in all, this novel is perfect for Twilight fans. It's filled with dramatic romance and the ultimate war between good vs. evil (literally!). Now I'm off to read Torment!
   3 keys.


Love,
Sophia


Cover note: Isn't the cover gorgeous? I love it!!

6 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot of mixed things about this one as well, and when I did give it a try, I just couldn't get into it at all. So I don't really think it's the book for me, but I'm glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this book! heard there's going 2 be a movie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I was not in love with this one and ended up DNF'ing Torment. It was so dark, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your review you worded it so well I hope I can be as good a reviewer as you one day

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this story! I'll admit that what first drew me to these books were the beautiful covers. Nut I love the story. I love Daniel, and Cam is mysterious and dangerous. I love the way she writes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been thinking about reading this book, and now I'm not so sure anymore. As you said I also came across a lot of negative reviews, but maybe I'll give it a try anyway. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...