Thursday, August 25, 2011

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Synopsis: Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.  
But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

   *Kind of off topic note: School started this week and so it took me a couple of days longer than I expected to read this. So, I might not be reading as frequently as I can, but I'll try.*
   I read Oliver's debut novel, Before I Fall, earlier this summer and I liked it a lot. I had heard that this one was even better so I was definitely eager to read it, so I bought it on my nook and started reading!
   Delirium is a story about an average girl named Lena who lives in a dystopian Portland, where love is ruled as an awful disease. Once she turns 18, she'll be able to become "cured," meaning that she won't feel any strong emotions, including love. At first, she's so excited to become cured. She wants to be normal and happy. But all that vanishes when she meets the "cured" Alex.
   Alex is so lovable, even during his first appearance in the novel. He's a bit hard to figure out, and Lauren Oliver does a brilliant way in unveiling just bits of him at a time. That said, in absolutely no way is he evilly mysterious or anything, which I really liked about him. He's open and caring, and just wonderful.
   As I could tell from her debut book, Oliver's writing is so beautiful. Even when writing heart-racing action or horror scenes, the writing is poetic and marvelous. It's breathtaking and flows very well, like this passage:
"Anything could happen here, and when he bends down to kiss me it's as though the weight of the velvety darkness around us, the soft flutters of the trees, the pitter-patter of the unseen animals, come beating into my chest, making me feel as though I'm dissolving and expanding into the night."
I mean, gosh, I wish I could write like that.
   Lauren Oliver's style of writing outshines everything else, in my opinion. But everything else leaves very little to be desired as well. The characters are great! Lena is afraid, yet one of the bravest heroines I've ever read about. Alex is just a brilliant character. Hana is so adventurous, yet a tad bit restrictive and cautious. 
   The dystopian world that Oliver creates is so realistic. The secrets and the twists in the government and citizens felt so solid and true. The cure and the procedures is official, and the little excerpts from The Book of Shhh make it even better.
   Miss Oliver, you have written a very fine story.
   Delirium is a novel filled with the whispered secrets in between people, dramatic romance, and the story of a girl who learns to love and choose the path that she wants, against all odds.
   5 keys.


Love,
Sophia

P.S. Oh, and the ending? It killed me. I don't know whether I can pick up Pandemonium without having a tiny sliver of hope. 

Cover note: I love these special edition covers! :)

7 comments:

  1. I really liked this one, but I'm not sure if I liked it more than If I Fall. Even still, the premise of being able to be cured of love was immensely intriguing. I totally agree with you about Alex, I don't think I ever didn't like him in the book. The ending made me so mad, though, I almost vowed not to read the next one in protest...haha :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping something miraculous happens in the next book. I just can't accept the ending of this one. So heartbreaking. :(

    Anyway, I love your review! I'm so glad you enjoyed Delirium. I loved it as well, especially the beautiful writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure! This book in my opinion was at its best at the very beginning and end. And the writing...good gosh! Two thumbs way up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophiiiiia~ I'm actually going to be reading this book RIGHT after I finish devouring Daughter of Smoke and Bone. o-O And I totally agree about Lauren Oliver's writing! ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. I've only read one other book by her (Before I Fall) and that book was phenomenal (speaking of which I still need to re-read that.) You make Alex sound so asdfghjkl; adorable, so he will be one of the things I'll be on the lookout for in DELIRIUM. ;D

    Wonderful review, Sophia! :) So happy to see you lurrvved Delirium! Here's to hoping I do too. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you liked it. My friend's reading it so I'm wondering whether I should pick it up too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sophia! I REALLY love your blog, and your youtube channel! Do you have any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just picked up the Temple Wars book! Book 1 is fascinating and had me engaged from page one! You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...