Saturday, July 16, 2011

What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen

Synopsis: Since her parents' bitter divorce, Mclean and her dad, a restaurant consultant, have been on the move-four towns in two years. Estranged from her mother and her mother's new family, Mclean has followed her dad in leaving the unhappy past behind. And each new place gives her a chance to try out a new persona: from cheerleader to drama diva. But now, for the first time, Mclean discovers a desire to stay in one place and just be herself, whoever that is. Perhaps Dave, the guy next door, can help her find out. 

Combing Sarah Dessen's trademark graceful writing, great characters, and compelling storytelling, What Happened to Goodbye is irresistible reading.


   I am a huge fan of Sarah Dessen. I've read many of her books and will continue to, because they are all pretty amazing. What Happened to Goodbye was no less.
   Mclean (pronounced Mc-lane) was a slightly plain narrator and main character. She was kind of hard to relate to because her situations were so different from mine, but Dessen did an excellent job of portraying McLean's thoughts and actions. 
   Mclean moves around a lot because of her dad's occupation, but she really doesn't mind. She has a way of dealing with it. Her way was to create a new persona at every new city. For example, she might be a go getter in one school but a party animal in another. But when she gets to her recent stop, she finds it difficult to create someone new. Somehow, she ends up being the real her.
   She immediately makes new friends and sets herself up in the new place, but tries not to get too attached to anything, knowing she'll have to leave again soon. But her neighbor and friend, Dave, makes that rather difficult because he shows his deep feelings for her.
   I loved all the characters, particularly Opal and Deb (read the book to find out who those wonderful people are). They were very enjoyable and entertaining. The romance was pretty lacking in this novel, but that's alright. I think the way Mclean and Dave officially met made up for it. I loved that scene. The background history between the divorce of Mclean's parents was definitely a plus, it was extremely interesting. The restaurant scenario was very well created and completely realistic. And the ending was definitely a twist.
   I couldn't put this book down! I loved it. Another win for Dessen!
   I give it 4.5 keys.

Love,
Sophia


3 comments:

  1. I have a few Sarah Dessen books but haven't yet read them. But I've heard so many amazing things! This one sounds fabulous too. I'll have to make sure I pick one of them up real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candace - I've read all the Dessen books..... and, if you haven't already, read the rest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read this amazing new YA fiction on Ganesha - Part 1 of the Temple Wars series - I think everyone should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...