Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

   Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer -- they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one wonderful and terrible summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along.
   My friend and my librarian recommended this book to me a while ago and so I picked up and read... and read and read and read! The book just got more and more interesting the more words I read. It was incredible. I honestly don't know what it is about this book. The writing isn't spectacular, the characters aren't the best I've ever read, the plot isn't as interesting as others, but somehow, this book had it all. It's amazing.
   Belly is a very interesting girl. She was a great character to read about. Somethings she did, somethings she thought, they were... pretty stupid, but that just makes her a teenage girl! I did not relate to Belly, however, because I just couldn't understand her thoughts. I mean, why in the world would she fall for Conrad? That just... disgusts me. I am so picky on my fictional male leads. :D
   I cried in some parts (most having to do with Susannah and Belly's mother), I laughed in some parts, and basically, this book kept me entertained throughout. The beginning was a bit too slow for my liking, but I would definitely reread this book!
   4 keys.

Love,
Sophia


2 comments:

  1. This summer was different. Belly finally started to see herself as pretty despite having a best friend who all the guys spent an extra beat on and filling up a little more then she was comfortable with up top and not being a short-short wearing girl. At times, Belly struggled to keep her voice steady and prove she wasn't the tattle-tale little girl anymore even when her emotions betrayed her. She definitely wasn't a flat character who wandered aimlessly. While some of Belly's choices made me cringe, her reasoning was usually apparent in the aftermath. After all, she is just coming-of-age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read the Temple Wars Novel on Ganesha! The story is well told through a parallel protagonist Tarun who helps Ganesha retrieve his objects from the spirit world. It's a page-turner that will have you wanting more. You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...