Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan


Synopsis: Since their mother’s death, Carter and Sadie have become near strangers. While Sadie has lived with her grandparents in London, her brother has traveled the world with their father, the brilliant Egyptologist, Dr. Julius Kane. 

One night, Dr. Kane brings the siblings together for a "research experiment" at the British Museum, where he hopes to set things right for his family. Instead, he unleashes the Egyptian god Set, who banishes him to oblivion and forces the children to flee for their lives.

Soon, Sadie and Carter discover that the gods of Egypt are waking, and the worst of them--Set--has his sights on the Kanes. To stop him, the siblings embark on a dangerous journey across the globe--a quest that brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.

   When I was in the fourth or fifth grade, I went through an OBSESSION with Rick Riordan. Well, actually, it was more of an obsession with the Percy Jackson series. I was so excited when I found this book in my library. I immediately checked it out and started reading. But then... I stopped.
   Unlike the Percy Jackson series, this book hadn't captivated me. It hadn't intrigued me in the least bit. I had always had a thing for Greek mythology, but Egyptian? Definitely not my type. Eventually, I forced myself to continue reading.
   This book wasn't great. Maybe it was because I had too high of expectations (which seems to happen often). It was a good book, but it wasn't amazing. I was disappointed, to say the least. I found this book way too long and dragging. It got boring in some parts and I didn't find the humor in this book, very, well... humorous. Maybe it's because this book was really different from the previous books I've read lately, but still.
   The plot was nice as well as the content. It was mysterious and interesting once you got into it. The characters were very good narrators and although I wouldn't reread this book, it was good.
   3 keys.

Love,
Sophia

2 comments:

  1. Aww, it's a shame that you didn't like the book. Unlike you, I've always been really intrigued by Ancient Egyptian mythology - perhaps because it's so different from the Greek and Roman myths and legends. I liked the book, though I agree that at times it was a bit drawn out. But hey, at least there are the PJ books out there for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read the Temple Wars Novel on Ganesha! The story is well told through a parallel protagonist Tarun who helps Ganesha retrieve his objects from the spirit world. It's a page-turner that will have you wanting more. You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...