Monday, August 23, 2010

The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening by L. J. Smith

Synopsis: Elena is a high school golden girl who's used to getting what she wants. When she meets handsome, haunted Stefan, he struggles to resist her for fear that his dark secret is too much for her to handle. He's torn by guilt over his past, and mindful of the threat that his vengeful brother, Damon, poses to anyone Stefan gets close to. Soon Elena finds herself torn between two brothers, and in terrible danger.


    Even though I am horrible at finishing series, I couldn't resist reading this. I've never watched the TV show, but I heard it was good. But I know, secondhand and from experience, that the books are always better than the TV show or movie. Always.
    This book went by super fast. After reading Twilight, the Vampire Diaries was so different, yet similar. I have to admit, I like Twilight better, but L. J. Smith's vampires and Stephenie Meyer's are so different. It was a bit hard for me to get into Smith's vampires since I kept assuming things about them, like, "How can he bite her? Shouldn't he be going into a blood craze?" or, "Why isn't he sparkling?" or, "What the heck are Powers?"
    But in the end, I finished the book. It was good. Not really good. I don't think I'm a real fan, but it was worth the read.
    The plot was fast and exciting, like a scary, dark, intense roller coaster. The characters were not the best. They seemed... unreal (ignoring the fact that some characters are vamps), especially after reading Amy & Roger's Epic Detour. I also thought it was a little predictable. Now, I know it seems like all I'm doing is trashing the book, but believe me, I'm not trying to.
    I was pleasantly surprised at the thrilling sensation it sent through me while reading this book. It was like I was excited and anxious, terribly eager to find out what would happen next. L. J. Smith creates this book in a unique way, made perfect for it to be appear on the television screen.
    3.5 keys.
   
Love,
Sophia




1 comment:

  1. Hey, I just gave you the One Lovely Blog award, here's the link: http://maddieeemsblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/one-lovely-blog-award.html
    (:
    BTW, awesome review, I agree about the "good, but not really good" part.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...