Monday, August 9, 2010

The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott

   Synopsis: Everyone knows the unwritten rule: You don't like your best friend's boyfriend.    
    Sarah has had a crush on Ryan for years. He's easy to talk to, supersmart, and totally gets her. Lately it even seems like he's paying extra attention to her. Everything would be perfect except for two things: Ryan is Brianna's boyfriend, and Brianna is Sarah's best friend.

    Sarah forces herself to avoid Ryan and tries to convince herself not to like him. She feels so guilty for wanting him, and the last thing she wants is to hurt her best friend. But when she's thrown together with Ryan one night, something happens. It's wonderful...and awful.
    Sarah is torn apart by guilt, but what she feels is nothing short of addiction, and she can't stop herself from wanting more...


    I received this book for review, because I asked for it. I was so lucky that the nice people of Simon and Schuster sent it to me!
    This is my first Scott book and I read tons of reviews for it among my fellow bloggers. Most of them were... not good. So I was kind of scared to read it.
    But I'm so glad that I did! Elizabeth Scott has a real and pure way of writing and her description of wanting and yearning (for Ryan) is so realistic. I feel like I'm wanting Ryan, also. Scott's voice is raw and true, exactly the way a teenager would speak or think. I think that Scott's and Colasanti's writing styles are a little similar.
    True, Brianna was one of the worst best friends ever, and I have no idea why Sarah put up with her so long. I mean, some things that Brianna tells Sarah are so mean. Example:


"But Greg won't ever really like you because the guys who like me--you and I are just really--well, we're different looking, you know?"
    Which is basically Brianna saying that she's much prettier than Sarah. But that's not it. Brianna says a lot of other not-nice stuff and I don't know how Sarah stands it. She's just too passive. Like when Brianna said this stuff: 
"Remind me that I have some conditioner that's supposed to be great for limp hair, okay? I totally bought it for you and remembered it just now."


"I have the cutest dress, and we'll go out and get you something fantastic to make you look way different. Sexy..."


    I mean, if my so-called best friend said things like that to me, I'd totally slap her. Well, not really. But you catch my drift.
    I think, like a lot of YA books out there nowadays, that the romance in this novel isn't much of a romance. More like physical attraction. Sure, Sarah and Ryan have those moments of connection, but they don't really know each other that well.
    But, overall, I still enjoyed this book. Scott captures the realistic voices of teen characters, creates a dramatic and suspenseful plot that makes you need to see how it ends. Which by the way I didn't like. The ending, I mean.
    I definitely plan on reading another Elizabeth Scott book soon! 4 keys!


Love,
Sophia



4 comments:

  1. I recently read this book, too! I think the author has an amazing way of writing darkly beautiful prose, but it just felt strange for me. It could just be that I'm used to reading dark tones for dark pieces, and the relatively light experience of wanting a boy your best friend is dating (I'm not saying it's easy, by any means! It's a difficult situation to be in, but it's easier than, say, having a terminal disease or being depressed or anything else usually associated with a dark tone) contrasted with that.

    That said, I did like this book. It was a sad and interesting read, and I totally agree with you about Sarah putting up with her best friend for so long. I realize that some people are just naturally timid and shy and take things like that, but in the narration, Sarah didn't even seem to notice the undermining comments Brianna made. At least in John Green's PAPER TOWNS, Margo was definitely pissed off by how what's-her-face (I'm terrible at remembering anyone's name) kept hinting that she was fat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read Paper Towns so bad! I heard it was awesome! I read John Green's An Abundance of Katherines and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was so sweet. Glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read the Temple Wars Novel on Ganesha! The story is well told through a parallel protagonist Tarun who helps Ganesha retrieve his objects from the spirit world. It's a page-turner that will have you wanting more. You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...