Saturday, June 19, 2010

Review: Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen


Synopsis: "Ruby, where is your mother?" Ruby knows that the game is up. For the past few months, she's been on her own in the yellow house, managing somehow, knowing that her mother will probably never return.That's how she comes to live with Cora, the sister she hasn't seen in ten years, and Cora's husband Jamie, whose down-to-earth demeanor makes it hard for Ruby to believe he founded the most popular networking Web site around. A luxurious house, fancy private school, a new wardrobe, the promise of college and a future—it's a dream come true. So why is Ruby such a reluctant Cinderella, wary and defensive? And why is Nate, the genial boy next door with some secrets of his own, unable to accept the help that Ruby is just learning to give?
    Hey! It's been a while, right? Well, that's because I'm in... *drum roll please* South Korea! I'm Korean, so yeah. It makes sense. Anyway, since I'm in Korea, I don't have internet access everyday. So I'm probably not going to post again soon. I mean, I only brought three books (I know, I'm stupid) here to Korea and I've already finished them all!
    Anyway, two Dessen's in a row! Yeah, I was shopping at Target and I saw this book... and you know how bookaholics can be. This book was, I think, Dessen's longest one? So it took me longer than usual to finish it. But it was just as good! Being honest though, it wasn't as good as The Truth About Forever.
    Nate wasn't as appealing as Wes, in my opinion. But Nate was still a complex character. Ruby is just like one of my characters in a story I'm writing. Ruby was kind of edgy and I couldn't accept her as easily as the rest of Dessen's heroines. But that made me like Ruby even more in the end.
    This book was a little on the slow side for the plot, but that's because Ruby has a lot going on in her mind. Nate and Ruby's relationship didn't end how I wanted to, but if someone asked me to change it, I couldn't have.
    Intriguing characters, a deep and thoughtful message, and everything that makes Dessen famous is in this book. I give it 4 keys.


*Cover Note*: I've always loved Dessen's covers, but this has to be my favorite! It's so peaceful, yet engaging and... awesome~!


Love,
Sophia

4 comments:

  1. No one is as amazing as Wes haha. He is one of a kind. ;) I'm glad you enjoyed this one! What I love about this book is that it emphasizes on family and also on friendship instead of on romance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eventually I want to read all of Dessen's books.

    International travel (or I guess travel in general) makes me wish I had a Kindle, especially since most airlines charge even for one suitcase, space is so vital these days. There is nothing I hate more than running out of reading materials while traveling.

    Enjoy your amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOHH I'm glad you liked this one. I'm about to read it - it's my next and third Sarah Dessen book, and I'm sure it won't be my last... I like complex characters so I'm excited to see what's in store! :D
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read the Temple Wars Novel on Ganesha! The story is well told through a parallel protagonist Tarun who helps Ganesha retrieve his objects from the spirit world. It's a page-turner that will have you wanting more. You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...