Friday, May 7, 2010

Reviews: The Hunger Games + Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Synopsis of The Hunger Games: In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death – televised for all of Panem to see.
    Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.



I'm not telling the description for Catching Fire because for those who haven't read The Hunger Games yet would have their book spoiled for them.
    Yes, this time I'm hitting y'all with a double whammy! After I finished The Hunger Games I just had to have the sequel! So here it is!
    The Hunger Games was a brilliant and complex story filled with mystery, action, sci-fi, and (my favorite) romance. The many layers in this tale with keep you entertained and begging for more. My friend had said that this book was really good so I checked it out. I had huge doubts, though. I mean, even the title was weird for me. The Hunger Games. Strange, right? But now, I'm so glad I took the chance.
    Collins is a pure genius for writing such an exciting and unexpected book! Though, I wanted to vomit with all the times Katniss kissed Peeta. (I'm strongly and immovably Team Gale, 100%.) If you haven't read this book, you have to. It's that good. Each page turn will keep you captured in the futuristic and dangerous world. I couldn't put it down.
    I recommended it to my friend and she loved it (and is Team Gale)! She is currently reading my copy of Catching Fire.
    I can't reveal too much about Catching Fire, since I'm probably going to spoil everything if I spill things now. All I'm going to say is that this sequel certainly does The Hunger Games justice. It passed my expectations, though this one took me longer to read than The Hunger Games. I actually had to put it down once or twice. But either way, I would've finished, since it's so good. I'm really worried that Katniss is really and truly falling in love with... You-Know-Who (yes, because Katniss loves Lord Voldemort).

Katniss: She's feisty and strong and knows her way to survive. I loved her the second I read about her character. I love her relationship with Gale and I love how she can take care of her and her family. She's confused most of the time, but that doesn't mean she's weak. Oh, no! She's a fighter, never giving up. Katniss is a wonderful character.

Peeta: He's nice and sweet and there's absolutely nothing wrong with him... except for the fact that he's not Gale (my bias is very strong). Peeta isn't used to being in the wild and doesn't have the experience Katniss has. But I guess his tiny vulnerability is what draws the readers into him. He truly loves Katniss.

Despite the fact that Katniss kissing Peeta is repulsive to me, I give this awesome and amazing series 5 keys!
Love,
Sophia

 


2 comments:

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...