Saturday, May 8, 2010

Review: The Naughty List by Suzanne Young



Synopsis:  As if being a purrfect cheerleader isn’t enough responsibility!
    Tessa Crimson’s the sweet and spunky leader of the SOS (Society of Smitten Kittens), a cheer squad–turned–spy society dedicated to bringing dastardly boyfriends to justice, one cheater at a time. Boyfriend-busting wouldn’t be so bad . . . except that so far, every suspect on the Naughty List has been proven 100% guilty!

    When Tessa’s own boyfriend shows up on the List, she turns her sleuthing skills on him. Is Aiden just as naughty as all the rest, or will Tessa’s sneaky ways end in catastrophe?

    The Naughty List. Is your boyfriend on it?

    I had the pleasure of reading this book because I won it from The Eager Readers and it was signed! Thanks so much! The first time I saw it, I wanted to read it so, so, so bad! I mean, the cover is sweet and teasing and the summary was the most enticing ever. So I was really, really glad that I had the opportunity to read it. But it was kind of uncomfortable when my friends saw the cover and their eyes widened. I had to tell everyone what the book was about to keep them away from thinking it was something way dirtier and worse....
    I think I had my expectations to high, though, since the book disappointed me. Don't get me wrong, though! The book was really good, just not as good as I thought it'd be. Tessa's a sweet character and ALWAYS polite. Sometimes, it got irritating but it was actually a really nice fresh breath of air from all the other YA books nowadays filled with curse words and snobby cheerleaders.
    Speaking of cheerleaders, Tessa is one and so are all the Smitten Kittens (cute name!). They are all so enthusiastic and nice. I wish I had a big group of friends like that!
    The book is perfectly paced and the characters are SO unique. Honestly, where are you going to find a girl so nice as Tessa? Or I perfect, handsome guy that likes to paint toes like Aiden (though the painting toes was kind of pushing the limit for me)? Some people may say that the plot was predictable but I can't say that for myself. There were twists and turns that I never saw coming. And I hated when things just came crashing down (I'm purposely being vague).
    Tessa's non-cuss words were so absurd, it was funny. Honestly, the phrases were so silly, you couldn't help but roll your eyes and smile. Here are some examples: Oh, sweet vanilla sky!; Peanut butter sandwiches!; Apple dippers!; Butterscotch!; Crab cakes!; Mashed potatoes and gravy! I've noticed that a lot of them are food related. But I love Young's creativity with these saying and how she never repeated one twice. Except for my favorite: Strawberry smoothie.


Tessa: She's completely lovable and she's so upbeat! Always positive and smiling, I wonder if anyone is actually like that in real life. But she's interesting and she tries so hard to please everyone. I think Tessa needs more love from the characters because she does more things for others than she does herself. She's gets under a lot of pressure. No matter how much I enjoyed Tessa's character, I have to be perfectly honest and say sometimes she got a little annoying.


Aiden: He's so weird! I mean, he's hot and everything, but he's so weird! What guy loved painting toes and giving foot rubs? Seriously, if I meet a guy like Aiden who loves those things AND isn't gay, it'd be a miracle. But I love his character and his loyalty. He's really nice and sometimes neglects Tessa but that's partially her fault, her with the SOS and all.


This book was so strawberry smoothie and I give it 4 keys.


Love,
Sophia

2 comments:

  1. I'm dying to read this one! I purchased it quite some time ago and still haven't gotten to it. I read a little bit of the first page and it made me laugh a handful of times. I'm sure I'll love this one a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just picked up the Temple Wars book! Book 1 is fascinating and had me engaged from page one! You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...