Sunday, May 16, 2010

Review: The Cinderella Society by Kay Cassidy

   
Synopsis: What’s a girl to do when the glass slipper fits, but she doesn’t want to wear it anymore?
    Sixteen year old Jess Parker has always been an outsider. So when she receives an invitation to join The Cinderella Society, a secret society of the most popular girls in school, it’s like something out of a fairy tale. Swept up by the Cindys’ magical world of makeovers, and catching the eye of her Prince Charming, Jess feels like she’s finally found her chance to fit in.

    Then the Wickeds–led by Jess’s arch-enemy–begin targeting innocent girls in their war against the Cindys, and Jess discovers there’s more to being a Cindy than reinventing yourself on the outside. She has unknowingly become part of a centuries-old battle of good vs. evil, and now the Cindys in charge need Jess for a mission that could change everything.
    When I heard about this book, I was like, "I HAVE to read this!" And I'm so thankful to the GreenBeanTeenQueen for letting me win it! And, just because I want to put this out there, I absolutely adore the cover (though it had almost nothing to do with the book's content).
    Jess started as a weak person. She let Lexy (the mean girl) just push her around. But Jess still had strength inside of her. She just needed to project it in some way. This is why it was so interesting to see Jess transform into such a confident young lady.
    I don't really like the name "The Cinderella Society" because I don't like Cinderella. Cinderella is a "princess" that was passive and whiney, which is the exact opposite of what The Cinderella Society was rooting for, ironically enough!
    The plot is kind of slow and I had to put this book down several times because of the detailed descriptions of the Society. I mean, I get that the Society is really official and important, but the rules and everything take away from the book.
    What didn't take away from the book were the characters! I totally want a best friend like Sarah Jane or Audrey. They seem so real, yet like famous celebrities. All the Society members are all so independent and supportive, it's insane! If only the Society was real....
    But the Society isn't real. Sometimes, I found the idea of the Cinderella Society/ISIS so laughable. I mean, the technology is like things from a spy movie, the members are like perfect angels, and the Wickeds are just so... fantastical.
    The book was well-written, it really was. I might be interested in reading the second book, as long as there are not more parts of the Society itself. But the concept is so pure and good-hearted that this book is a great read. That touch of romance makes it all the more better! I give this book 3.5 keys.


Love,
Sophia



2 comments:

  1. Cassidy has created a wonderful, different novel. I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel which is coming out in spring of next year... which is too far away!
    Central Valley NY House cleaning site info

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just picked up the Temple Wars book! Book 1 is fascinating and had me engaged from page one! You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...